Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fxdx knowledge please

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:05 AM
fxdx-matt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fxdx knowledge please

I'm in the process of getting rid of some chrome on my DX and the shocks are going to be the next to go. Pretty sure I'm going with the works black trackers. The guy I bought it from lowered it in the rear end for sure, but I'm not sure about the front. That is what I'm curious about. Does it look like to you guys that the front end has been lowered as well. I don't know any different and thought maybe someone might know an easy way for me to be able to tell. Or maybe someone could tell from the pic. So I hope the pic below works and you can see it.

Thanks,
Matt

Attached Thumbnails fxdx knowledge please-1-11-13.jpg  
Old 01-12-2013, 02:47 AM
nigelgeast
Road Captain

Its difficult to see from the pic. Look in the specs fot the hight and take measurements to confirm.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:58 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

On my '01 FXDXT it's 8" from the top of the fender to the bottom of the lower tree...you have the same forks.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:15 PM
fxdx-matt
Advanced

Got around to measuring mine and it is 7" dead on to the bottom tree. But is the top of the fork supposed to be flush with the top of the top tree? I'm just curious because from what I've read I didn't think they made a front lowering kit for the fxdx, but I could be wrong its happened quite a bit before. The front springs wouldn't be wore out would they?? Its a 2002 with only 7500 miles on it. Took the pic below so maybe someone could tell me if the forks need slid down any or if they are in the normal position in the top tree.

Thanks again for the help guys,

Matt

Attached Thumbnails fxdx knowledge please-imag0138.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 12:44 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like the forks are right where they should be...not suppose to be flush

Old 01-13-2013, 01:04 PM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks a little low to me.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:01 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

That's your pre-load adjustment and it's out further (softer) than mine...at 185lbs solo, I have the 4th "ring" flush with the top of the tree; the tubes can be slid up into the trees to shorten their length but yours don't appear to be...bounce the front forks a few times and re-measure and/or add some pre-load with the adjuster in the photo.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:18 PM
fxdx-matt
Advanced

Thank you for all the info sharkey. I found a post earlier that said there is a difference between the dx and dx-t triple trees because of the fairing being on the T model. Wondering if that is why there is a difference in the fender to bottom tree measurement between mine and yours. I'm around the same weight as you and I did adjust the preload as you recommended and it did raise it up a little after a little bouncing though.

As a side note, I'm glad I dug into this because there wasn't ONE thing on the front end that was the same from one side to the other. Rebound, compression, and preload were all different, there wasn't any of them that matched. So I guess I'll just get my new rear shocks ordered, mounted. and adjusted and see how the ol' girl is sitting then.

I did go through some old maintenance records I got from the previous owner of the bike and did not find anything about lowering the front end. So I guess I'll just go with that.

Thanks to all for your time and help. I can't get enough of this site. Its great.

Matt

Old 01-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Mikey Ashie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 99 fxdx which does NOT have an adjustable front suspension. so from the top of the fender to the first triple tree what should measure according to stock? I wanna see if the previous owner did front and back or just back...

thx

Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 PM
fxdx-matt
Advanced

Not sure Mikey. Mine is about 7.25" roughly, but I'm not 100% sure if mine is lowered or not. Sharkey said his was right at 8". And that is measuring from the top of the fender to the bottom of the bottom tree.

Quick Reply: fxdx knowledge please