Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internally wired bar problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 PM
dhoko
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internally wired bar problems

Hey guys I purchased a set of the RSD vintage 12" bars for my wide glide and am going to get them installed when I get back from work. I was talking to the guy at harley and he said with these type of bars and getting them internally wired its not uncommon to have some electrical problems like your horn or any of the electrical hand controls such as horn, left or right signal stop working after just a few months because of the shape of the bar and them being internally wired. Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with this?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:32 PM
oldlefty
Tourer

it's possible that because of the sharp bend in the bars that the wires can get chafed or worn thru causing a short. they must have had this happen before after an instal. sounds like you are going to have to chance it.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:32 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dhoko
Hey guys I purchased a set of the RSD vintage 12" bars for my wide glide and am going to get them installed when I get back from work. I was talking to the guy at harley and he said with these type of bars and getting them internally wired its not uncommon to have some electrical problems like your horn or any of the electrical hand controls such as horn, left or right signal stop working after just a few months because of the shape of the bar and them being internally wired. Just wondering if anyone else has had problems with this?
no.

4 sharp bends in my bars, never a problem.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:37 PM
oldlefty
Tourer

maybe they are being too rough with pulling the wires thru. if you are dealing with kane's in calgary they are usually pretty good with stuff.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:01 PM
rodthebod125
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had those on my nightster,before I sold it,for 2 years and no problem. Just be careful pulling them through

Old 01-12-2013, 08:02 PM
dhoko
Cruiser

I was going to go through Calgary harley, I havent heard much good about the service from kanes from family and friends and I bought the bike at calgary harley. I will make sure they are careful. Thanks for your input guys and I will post pictures when they are done. I have some other things im doing to it to that I can do myself so I will post before and after pictures

Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That is bull $hit. They are just trying to cover their a$$. As long as you insulate your wires good, I used duct tape, and grease them up as your pulling, you shouldn't have a problem. It's really not as difficult as it seems. You should think about doing it yourself. There are alot of helpful threads and people right here.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 PM
cary713
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY - with the help of the Forum

These have some pretty sharp bends in them. I wired them up today.
Just take your time. I got several tips from the forum:
1: used a ball chain to drop through first - gravity is your friend here.
2: used that to drag a piece of coated metal cable through
3: used the cable to fish the mesh wiring cover through by itself
4: pushed the cable back through the mesh (went right through)
Once I had the mesh through, I offset the wire connectors so that it wasn't one fat bunch of wires, but a started off thin and gradually got fatter. Wrapped the wire tips, alongside the cable with electrical tape for about 6 inches, greased it up and fished the wires through the mesh tube. That way the wires weren't being pulled against the sharp metal corners & getting caught.
Bars are 15" Vindikta Wildcat 1.25"

Old 01-13-2013, 10:17 PM
dhoko
Cruiser

Thanks for the input guys, I am going to get the diamond black braided cables as well so not sure how much I want to screw around but I am going to go out and buy a service manual and look into it anyway. BTW cary those are bars are really cool

Old 01-13-2013, 11:16 PM
hawnd83
Cruiser

cary713 got it right. I use the same method(minus the grease. and I use weedeater string instead of wire) and dont have any problems fishing wires through and have done quite a few with no troubles. takes about 45 minutes to do both sides. Running the mesh wire loom through the bars first is the trick to making it EASY!! And unless you want electrical gremlins running a muck on your bike you should leave that wire loom on anyways!

Quick Reply: Internally wired bar problems