Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Dyna Glide Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, FXR Super Glide, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by: True-Track Inc.

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 AM
One Of The Regulars
Default Lowering a 2001 Wide Glide

Hey All,
Just purchased a 2001 Wide Glide with the screaming eagle engine. I do not like the stock rear fender and am wondering if I can change it out for a more old school look where the fender drops down and around the tire and I can mount the license plate off to the side. I also want to lower the rear end (1") using the burly slammer kit. Is it as simple as just switching out the shocks and if so can i leave the front alone without causing an issue. Any help you can provide would be great. This is my first bike and I want to change it up a bit more to meet what i like.

Michael
Old 01-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Hang Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by see22ds View Post
Hey All,
Just purchased a 2001 Wide Glide with the screaming eagle engine. I do not like the stock rear fender and am wondering if I can change it out for a more old school look where the fender drops down and around the tire and I can mount the license plate off to the side. I also want to lower the rear end (1") using the burly slammer kit. Is it as simple as just switching out the shocks and if so can i leave the front alone without causing an issue. Any help you can provide would be great. This is my first bike and I want to change it up a bit more to meet what i like.

Michael
Congrats on the new scooter. I just bought a "new" 93 FXR which has short shocks (11") installed and I'm looking to raise it back up where it belongs for better cornering clearance with some 13.5" Progressive's or something.

Enjoy the ride!
r/
Houses
Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Road Captain

if you change shocks, you will need to change or modify the kickstand 1" shorter also. The bike will stand too upright. as for the shocks use a floor jack or bike jack to give the bike pressure but not lift it, remove the shocks, install new ones top only, SLOWLY lower jack till bottom shock bolts line up. You may then have to jack bike up to place a 2x4 under tire to get jack out since its lowered now. Also check under fenders for any wires, bolts etc, that may come in-contact with tire. also the upper belt guard may need to be removed. hope this was helpful.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Outstanding HDF Member

You can lower the rear and leave the front alone. a set of Burleys will do the trick and take 1/2 hour, tops, to switch out.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:53 AM
One Of The Regulars

Thanks Guys....the info helps big time. I just dont want to mess it up and am trying to do this on a budget. I thought a few simple mods will make the bike look a lot better.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Supporter

I'm pretty sure you can change the fender from the bobtail to the rounded found on the rest of the dyna's from 2000-2003, and maybe even before and after those years. Check ebay.

'00 FXDL; 117"; 134 HP, 143 TQ
Jim's 4-3/8" Flywheel, Axtell Cylinders, S&S Pistons, S&S Heads (Rosa's ported and polished), S&S Super G, Pingel Petcock, Wood 650 TW9F, Barnett Scorpion, D&D Fat Cat, Ohlins 219, Ohlins FGK 205 Fork Cartridges, Night Rod Special lower forks, Avon Venom, PM wheels, brakes, grips, Flanders TT/Flat Track, Storz/Ceriani Steering Damper
Old 01-13-2013, 05:14 PM
Platinum Sponsor
DKCustom dkcustomproducts

Quote:
Originally Posted by see22ds View Post
Hey All,

Michael
Welcome to the Forum, and congrats on your new ride!

Check out the side mount license plate relo kits HERE.

Another option on lowering the rear is a Drop Kit. You can see the ones for your bike HERE.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:14 PM

P