Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mistaken for a Sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 08:25 PM
dxrich
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mistaken for a Sporty?

I was riding my 2006 superglide today. A truck with a harley decal in the window pulls up. The driver engages in some small talk. Then he asks me if that was a 1200 Sportster, I was riding. I told it it was a full growm big twin !!!! Anybody else get this happening??

The following users liked this post:
Tat2carson (02-23-2021)
Old 08-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: A harley owner asked me what size sportster is that?

I hear that too from time to time. I educate them on the 35 year history of the SuperGlide and the fact it's probably the best value dollar for dollar.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:49 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez, just gotta look and the primary/tranny to know that. I'm not the most knowledgeable on this crap, but I can spot a knuck, pan, shovel, Evo, Fathead, and sporty.

Now, the difference between a Ultra and a Honda Interstate.... (j/k)

Old 08-12-2006, 08:59 PM
hleach52
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet he can not tell tell differance between a FOOTBALL and an OVAL.[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 08-12-2006, 09:25 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me start by saying...I know a lot about harleys...at least modern ones. I've got gigabytes of pictures, lots of catalogs, read a million articles...and most imporantly, spend lots of time online looking at different HDs. To be honest, this is a tough one. The dimentions of a Superglide and a Sportster are somewhat similar. As was stated, all you have to do is look at the engine/primary and the question is answered. But more often than not, someone looking at a bike doesn't immediately look at the engine. Usually, paint on the tank, or wheels, or chrome catch your attention first. In that regard, it can be tough to tell the difference. Obviously, if you're a harley fanatic, it doesn't take long (even without looking at the engine) before you know whether you're looking at a dyna glide or a sporty. But for the average person who has a casual interest in Harleys..or someone who's just getting into them....it can be a common mistake.
Just today I was at the dealer and was looking at a new 07 superglide custom, and first thought was, cool lookin sporty. Then of course, I saw the primary, and kicked myself.
What I will say is, the superglides, low riders, and street bobs really aren't big bikes. And they're really not supposed to be...so if someone confuses it for a sporty, I wouldn't consider it an insult at all.
I have a DWG, and with its raked out forks, bobtail, higher seat height, and really long wheelbase...and especially stock forward controls...The other dynas are tiny in comparison. Hell, even the FX softails (i.e. nighttrains, customs, deuces, standards) feel and look more cramped than my bike. That said, the other dynas will run circles around a Wide Glide...at least in the twisties.

Todd

The following users liked this post:
bcasey22 (04-03-2021)
Old 08-12-2006, 09:57 PM
ddomm
Stage III

Thats funny, I have been asked the same thing from time to time. It doesen't bother me as long as they don't say is that a Honda. Sportsters are a blast to ride and pretty cool looking.

Old 08-12-2006, 10:27 PM
WgSkee
Road Captain

A truck with a harley decal in the window pulls up.
That's probaly the only thing Harley he had was a sticker...LOL... There was a sticker out once that said.." I own more than just this Harley Sticker"... I guess it's cool to ride around with a Harley Sticker... To be a Biker you have to own a Bike...Gzzzzz.... I'm sure I'll get comments about that statement...LOL[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 08-12-2006, 10:44 PM
kimo
Cruiser

When i got my inspection sticker the man asked me if it was a sportster :P.. Also,Over heard a couple talking about my bike and the woman says she didnt like it.Then they road off on a sportster .

Old 08-13-2006, 01:37 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: WgSkee

A truck with a harley decal in the window pulls up.
That's probaly the only thing Harley he had was a sticker...LOL... There was a sticker out once that said.." I own more than just this Harley Sticker"... I guess it's cool to ride around with a Harley Sticker... To be a Biker you have to own a Bike...Gzzzzz.... I'm sure I'll get comments about that statement...LOL[sm=biker2.gif]
No argument from me Skee

Todd

Old 08-13-2006, 01:56 AM
dirtydan
Advanced

I wonder how many of those guys driving Harley branded Ford Pickups and Monte Carlos have the bike to go with it!!

dirty

Quick Reply: Mistaken for a Sporty?