Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U1097 DTC code from new 4" Speedo/Tach

Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 PM
pdeyo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U1097 DTC code from new 4" Speedo/Tach

I'm looking for assistance on a U1097 code being thrown ever since I installed the new Harley 4" Combo Speedometer/Tach. I have a 2005 Dyna Super Glide. This issue has been troubling me for about 5 months and four different speedos. After installing the first speedo and getting the DTC and took the bike to the dealer and they wanted to replace the ECM. I explained that I could not be the ECM because the original analog speedometer worked fine. They contacted Harley tech support and they also blamed it on the ECM. Not wanting to spend $500 + on a part I believed was not to blame I decided to look into the problem myself.
I went thru the entire electrical system, replaced the fuse block all the fuses, replace all the ground cables, and make sure everything was clean and tight. I also replace the voltage regulator because I felt the battery was not being charged enough.. a new battery was installed less than 6 months ago. I was able to exchange the speedo with the dealer 3 times with new ones. Each time getting the same DTC.
Last week I repurchased the speedo, which has a new manufacture date, went for a test ride and the same problem exists.
So, I wonder if anyone else has heard or experienced this problem. Harley states that this speedo should work fine. If it wasn't for the fact that I like the design and functionality of this speedo/tach I would just give up and use the old analog speedometer.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 PM
Psi23
Banned
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Check your speed sensor, could be having trouble reading through new gauge.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:44 PM
pdeyo
6th Gear
Default U1097 Error from 4" Combo Speedometer/Tach

Thank You, Yes I did pull and clean the speed sensor after the first Speedometer and it was clean.
Also I didn't mention in the first post that I cleared the DTC after each test drive.
Also the service manual says to check the data transmission wire, I believe is the light green/violet wire. I did a continuity check on the wire and it test OK.
I have been searching this forum every since the problem started and have done everything everyone has written that is even remotely connected to the problem and nothing has worked.
It would be nice to heard of someone else out there with a 2005 Dyna that has put this speedometer on their bike.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:42 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

U1097 Loss of Speedometer Serial data Carb
U1097 Loss of Speedometer Serial data EFI
U1097 Loss of Speedometer Serial Data to ECM
U1097 Loss of Speedometer Serial data TSM/TSSM
Well it has no trouble reading the error codes, I assume the speedo does read along with the tach
If all reads then I would just say it's an incompatibility with the new speedo.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:28 PM
pdeyo
6th Gear

Thanks, I know what all the DTC codes mean. But Harley states it is completely compatible with this year Dyna
I am still hoping to find someone out there is has put this speedo on their 2005 Dyna. I will keep waiting

Old 01-21-2013, 01:56 AM
Psi23
Banned
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I would check all the wires for a short that could cause that code as well any small fray touching metal can set that off

Old 01-21-2013, 09:22 AM
pdeyo
6th Gear

Thanks, but I already have. Besides if there was a short, the code would show up with the old original speedometer which it does not.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:58 PM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Feel your pain. I have 2007 Street Bob. I got trouble code u1097 within the first five miles after install. Had it checked when I went in for service. Tech couldn't find the problem so reset and sent me on my way. Code came right back. Ordered me a replacement and they wanted to install it. Replaced it and test drove . Guess what? Code came back. Blaming it on my Fuel Pack. Fine. I will remove fuel pack and agree to pay for download only if this fixes problem. Doubt they'll agree to that. Speedo works fine so engine light stays for now. Keep checking for different code just in case though. Oh and no problems with original speedo .

Last edited by wastedranger; 01-21-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 PM
03geetee
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wastedranger
Feel your pain. I have 2007 Street Bob. I got trouble code u1097 within the first five miles after install. Had it checked when I went in for service. Tech couldn't find the problem so reset and sent me on my way. Code came right back. Ordered me a replacement and they wanted to install it. Replaced it and test drove . Guess what? Code came back. Blaming it on my Fuel Pack. Fine. I will remove fuel pack and agree to pay for download only if this fixes problem. Doubt they'll agree to that. Speedo works fine so engine light stays for now. Keep checking for different code just in case though. Oh and no problems with original speedo .
I will add another to the list, same exact issues no result yet. Did everything I could before taking it to the dealer and finally caved in. They say the same thing bike is fine, stock speedo works perfectly no issues. They took my brand new guage and sent it to harley for a diagnos/replace ticket which I havent heard anything about yet. Really aggravating because the guage is awesome, having your check engine come on at complete random intervals while not knowing its just the U1097 or something worse no so awesome. I'm calling harley tomorrow and have kept all these and similar threads about this issue so they cannot pretend I am the only one.

I will keep you posted brother trust me I am just as pissed.

JTR

Last edited by 03geetee; 01-21-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:49 PM
pdeyo
6th Gear

wastedranger
Harley also blamed it on my Fuel Pak... I called Vance and Hines and talked to there Tech Support and was told that the Fuel Pak in no way could cause the problem. All the Fuel Pak does is interpret the signal coming out of the ECM and add or subtract for it depending on the setting in the Fuel Pak.
I then tried an experiment... I kept the new speedo on and removed the Fuel Pak and guess what same problem.. So it's not the Fuel Pak.
I even talked to Harley Tech support and they could not give me an answer, they just wanted me to take in to the dealer and start replacing parts. I've already done more than the dealer would have done.
So for now unless someone out their has any other ideas I will put up with the problem, until Harley determines the gauge has a problem, because I also really like to design and functionality of this gauge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: U1097 DTC code from new 4" Speedo/Tach