Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riser Bolt Torque Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Yul B. Nekst
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Riser Bolt Torque Procedure

God, I use the beam torque on axles, top side bolts, etc., but never UPSIDE down on the riser bolts. I've got some new risers coming, and for the life of me can't figure out how to torque these bolts unless I'm on my back?!! I've got the wrench out in my below zero garage right now, but when it warms and I get a chance to use it for the riser-well, how? I'm thinking of taping at the 40 ft lbs so I can see when the marker hits it while upside down. But, come on, there's got to be a different way, right? I've searched the forum, and although tons of torque recommendations, nothing on HOW TO DO IT UPSIDE DOWN!! If this is a really dumb question, then I shall ever banish myself from this place, promising to ride a blue smoke belching rice burner for eternity!!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Yul B. Nekst
God, I use the beam torque on axles, top side bolts, etc., but never UPSIDE down on the riser bolts. I've got some new risers coming, and for the life of me can't figure out how to torque these bolts unless I'm on my back?!! I've got the wrench out in my below zero garage right now, but when it warms and I get a chance to use it for the riser-well, how? I'm thinking of taping at the 40 ft lbs so I can see when the marker hits it while upside down. But, come on, there's got to be a different way, right? I've searched the forum, and although tons of torque recommendations, nothing on HOW TO DO IT UPSIDE DOWN!! If this is a really dumb question, then I shall ever banish myself from this place, promising to ride a blue smoke belching rice burner for eternity!!
Better start looking for a Yamaha or Honda.

Just get them good and tight. Doesn't your torque wrench click?

Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 370 Posts

I just crank em down. But i also use solid bushings, i dont think im hurting anything

Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Yul B. Nekst
Advanced

No click, beam torque has pointer. My click torque is inch pounds. Yeah, I'm figuring on getting ft lb clicker.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:59 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Put my 24" 1/2 drive breaker bar on it and cinched them up.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yul B. Nekst
I'm thinking of taping at the 40 ft lbs so I can see when the marker hits it while upside down. But, come on, there's got to be a different way, right? I've searched the forum, and although tons of torque recommendations, nothing on HOW TO DO IT UPSIDE DOWN!! If this is a really dumb question, then I shall ever banish myself from this place, promising to ride a blue smoke belching rice burner for eternity!!
I think you're on the right track. I've never had a problem using a beam torque wrench upside down with an electrical tape marker.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Psi23
Banned
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Snug them with a longer wrench with loc tite and call it a day

Old 01-26-2013, 06:45 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a beam torque wrench when I installed my risers and I just had to twist and contort in a way that allowed me to see the torque settings. It wasn't a big deal, but if you aren't particularly flexible I can see how it would be an issue. You can also just put tape on the side you can see which coincides with the torque specs you need.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:51 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by XKnight
I used a beam torque wrench when I installed my risers and I just had to twist and contort in a way that allowed me to see the torque settings. It wasn't a big deal, but if you aren't particularly flexible I can see how it would be an issue. You can also just put tape on the side you can see which coincides with the torque specs you need.
Funny. My old beam wrenches have a drive lug on both sides of the head. Been a while sinse ive bought one. Guess they have changed.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Yul B. Nekst
Advanced

One lug facing down-that's why the headache. But, thanx for backing me up on the tape. That's where I'm going. A good clicker torque is way too expensive considering my beam torque is USA and paid for!

Quick Reply: Riser Bolt Torque Procedure