Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Street Bob and the Smart Siren II

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 PM
cshoo711
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Street Bob and the Smart Siren II

Hey guys,

Just received my 2013 Dyna Street Bob. Took it home and like a moron I tried to enable the chirp on the siren only to realize the sucker is silent. Well, now I've funneled the 89 bucks into the Smart Siren II and am looking to install it.

Got into the garage this evening, removed the seat, disabled the alarm, pulled off the left hand cover, and ran into trouble immediately.

Washer fell off the bolt the came from the seat when I wasn't looking and disappeared with a metallic clang into what I can only assume is a magically hidden spot on the bike. This was my first of many frustrations of the 2 and a half hours I've spent trying to get the damn Smart Siren II installed.

Got the hex screw and the two torx bolts removed from the left hand side electrical carriage but it will only come out about 1 inch. Not enough for me to see behind the carriage for where the wire that plugs into the Smart Siren II is supposed to be. Second frustration is that a Christmas tree clip for the electrical component attached to the spark plug wires pulled from its hole and is a bitch to get back in. So now I have a carriage partly out of its home and unable to go back in because of the damn clip.

Lastly, I dug around the wires from on top of the frame and can not find the damn wire that is supposed to connect to the Smart Siren II. Instructions say it should be taped to the frame but alas, no wires are. Just nothing but wires attached to other wires. Not a wire in sight attached to nothing that I can use.

I could really use some help. My bike is torn down and I'm frustrated as hell with the loss of the washer, the Christmas tree fastener coming out of its hole, and my failure with locating the correct wire to attach to this alarm. So, what does this wire look like? Where is it at? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:30 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

With a 2013 your wiring is different than the older Dyna's.
When I removed my electrical panel I had to push it through after unbolting it.
Good luck on finding the washer. There are black holes on the bike.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 AM
perfectlyfrank
Advanced

You've just convinced me to not bother trying to install the siren on my bike.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:35 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Welcome to Harley instructions! I have found that you need a talent to read between the lines, add unlisted steps, skip some stupid steps, and think completely out of the box when using the instructions. Do you have the Harley Service Manual - extremely useful with extra instructions and pics that do not come with the mod instructions.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

man if you do a search you can install a radio shack siren in these as well only cost $5... i have done a few... in mine i went with a bonkers loud siren my buddy gave me from a car alarm! super small and insane loud

Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Is the alarm an option? I don't think my Street Bob even has an alarm. Only the passive key fob that stops the bike from starting if its not in radius. No buttons on it.

Is the alarm something easy to add?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 AM
JRK5892
Banned

i had a buddy of mine add a upgraded alarm. complete with internet tracking... he was then able to reprogram the stock key fobs to work... i love it... and it has several sensitivity settings

Old 01-30-2013, 12:03 PM
cshoo711
Stage III

It's supposed to be easy to install, instead, it is a bitch. I've decided to say the hell with pulling out the electrical carriage. I threaded a screwdriver down behind the caddy to line the Christmas tree fastener up with its hole so that I could push the carriage back into its home. It went in, and the carriage assembly is true to the frame again, but the fastener still is out of it's hole a little bit. I'm not going to worry about it; it's a tight fit with the frame anyway and there's a second fastener there holding it all together too.

Looking down from on top of the frame through the mess of wires I think I found the wire now. It's a black thing attached to a connector on the aft of the frame. Looks like it is connected to something, but after getting my fingers down there and messing around with it I am 90 percent certain what it is connected to is just a dust cover connected to the frame. Until I'm 100 percent sure I don't want to be pulling the wire out in the off chance it'll screw something up.

Also, it looks like I'll be able the weave the Siren through the mess of wires and into the cutout located at the back of the carriage. Should be easy enough, however, I thought the first attempt was going to be easy too.

Still haven't found the washer. I don't really feel too comfortable riding the bike until I find it. Makes me nervous as hell that it might find it's way into something important and I'll end up taking a trip to the pavement. Being a washer it probably fell through the frame, hit the ground, and took a trip across the garage.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:21 PM
JRK5892
Banned

you can pretty much rest easy as a washer will not get anywhere it should not be... i would fire up the bike and give it a few rev's it will prob fall out if not, i would not worry about it

Old 01-30-2013, 07:04 PM
cshoo711
Stage III

Thanks for the advice JRK5892. After seeing you recommend the radio shack siren I went to the store to look for it. They didn't have any in stock...go figure. Also, I read up on a couple installs today and it doesn't seem like anyone can find the adapter used to attach the radio shack siren to the plug on the Harley. Instead, they just push the pins into the receptacles. Have you had any luck finding the plugs adapter?

I ended up breaking down and using the HD Model. I eventually figured it out. Finding the wire is a pain. No, it isn't taped to the frame (at least on my bike it isn't). Instead, it's plugged into the plastic of the carriage right next to the cutout where the siren snaps in. I did find one wire with a dust cover attached (as the instructions state) attached to the aft of the bike when you look down the hole on top of the frame. However, it was much too big to fit the alarm. For anyone undergoing this project follow these instructions.

1. Remove left hand cover.
2. Turn bike on to IGN and wait for the red security light on the speedometer to go out.
3. Pull the 40A maxi-fuse from the bike. This disables the alarm and shuts down power to the bike. You STILL want the bike on IGN.
4. Remove the seat.
5. Remove the two bolts below the seat holding the left hand carriage to the frame of the bike and the hex screw in the center of the carriage.
6. Pull down and out on the carriage to pull it SLIGHTLY out from the bike. Too much and your pull out the Christmas tree fastener, and you'll be dealing with the same BS I did.
7. With the carriage out from the bike take a flashlight and look down through the wires at the backside of the carriage. You will see a cutout for the alarm and to the left of the cutout you will see a wire plugged into the plastic. This is the wire!!! I swear I could hear angels sing when I finally found it.
8. Take the alarm and thread it down through the top of the frame, through the wires, and into its housing. It's a very tight fit but if you do it at the right angle it goes in pretty easy. Took me a couple tries to get it right.
9. Plug it in and thread the wire/antenna through the triangular cutout at the aft portion of the frame.
10. Install the Velcro per the original instructions instruction.
11. Reinstall the maxi fuse and turn the bike from IGN to OFF. The bike should chirp (mine did anyways) when the lights flash. If not, I suppose you should go through the instructions in the owners manual to get it to chirp.
12. Reinstall all nuts and bolts you removed in reverse order.

This was pretty easy after I figured it out. However, it took me 2 and a half hours to figure it out. Total time of installation in that case comes to about 2 hours and 45 minutes.

Quick Reply: Dyna Street Bob and the Smart Siren II