Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebags that keep my strut lights...

Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 AM
zimm
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Saddlebags that keep my strut lights...

I've just completed my smooth rear fender with integrated run/brake/turn tail lights. Since my FXDS convertible bags won't work anymore, I'm looking for a new alternative that lets me keep my lights in place. There's a third hole in my strut and cover and isn't being used just in front of my lights. Ideas?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 AM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

You got me thinking, but the problem is you license plate. If you put your bike on a lift and take off the lower shock bolts, you will be surprised how far up that thing will go. We have bags that would work except for the plate (pictured below).

The way these bags work is because of this small bracket that goes in-between the turn signal stem and the strut.

If we were to make a low side bracket that also incorporated a license plate frame it might work.

Garry

Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 AM
zimm
Road Captain

I like those bags and brackets. How is the plate mounted on that wide glide? Horizontal might work, but would need it for a 3/4" axle.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I think what he's implying is to make a bracket that goes off your turn signal mount for the bag that doubles as a license plate frame.

I ran into this problem which is why I went back to my stock fender. .license plate on the fender not on the swingarm.

If you look at the 2013 Street Bob I believe they have a setup that mounts the frame in between the left turn signal stem and the strut. Something like that adapted to the Leather Pro's Wide Glide bracket might be your best bet.

Matt

Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by zimm
I like those bags and brackets. How is the plate mounted on that wide glide? Horizontal might work, but would need it for a 3/4" axle.
It uses the stock Harley mount with an extension bracket that we make, but that won't work on your bike.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mattVA
I think what he's implying is to make a bracket that goes off your turn signal mount for the bag that doubles as a license plate frame.

Matt
Exactly, at this point it is just an idea, I would have to drew it up in CAD and cut one out to be sure if it worked.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:49 AM
Sgt7212
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on Leather Pros Bags. If Garry can make that set up he's talking about work for your bike, you won't find higher quality bags. I love mine. Haven't ridden with them yet, as the bike is put to bed for the winter, but installed them and love the look, the ease of putting them on/ taking them off, quality of construction, etc... Very versatile.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 PM
zimm
Road Captain

Gary,

I decided to move the license plate back over to my new fender. Will try the kuryakyn curved, low profile plate mount w/ LED lighting. I think my fender will still look pretty clean with just the plate there. Then I can ditch the axle mount (which isn't lit right now anyway) and I'm home free for the bags.

Just want to confirm those mounts will work on my '96.... are the strut hole spacings the same as the new bikes?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:18 AM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by zimm
Gary,

I decided to move the license plate back over to my new fender. Will try the kuryakyn curved, low profile plate mount w/ LED lighting. I think my fender will still look pretty clean with just the plate there. Then I can ditch the axle mount (which isn't lit right now anyway) and I'm home free for the bags.

Just want to confirm those mounts will work on my '96.... are the strut hole spacings the same as the new bikes?
Yep, spacing is the same on all Dynas from 93 to present.

Garry

Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 AM
zimm
Road Captain

Well another forum member mentioned this.... Wonder how it looks in person. And opens up my options for the bags...

part number: 67900130

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/10865690-post3.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saddlebags that keep my strut lights...