Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipbf ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 PM
EastBay_Solo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipbf ?

So this morning I wrode the bike in to work. And everything was normal as far as the start up and engine warm up is concerned. So I wrode for a few miles when I herd this shity sound coming from my primary? It still runs but makes noise under throttle. Yes its the plagued 06 so its that or the shity stator bolts? Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:50 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

First off, pull the primary cover and see if nothing else.
2 possibilities that come to mind. Compensator and chain tensioner
Usually the compensator starts to knock when taking off first.
Either way don't ride it until you pull the primary cover.

just a thought

dd

Old 01-31-2013, 06:55 PM
Junkster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on that. Dont try to out guess it. Pull the primary and see whats up. Probably nothing too bad.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

What's it sound like at idle? I don't know how to explain the noise but if you hear a strange constant noise at idle, then kick it in gear and it goes away, that's the Ipb. If It's a knocking sound that sounds like a rod knock its probably the rotor/comp bolts. How many miles on it? not really anything else in there that goes on a dyna.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 PM
EastBay_Solo
Road Master

Originally Posted by vdop
What's it sound like at idle? I don't know how to explain the noise but if you hear a strange constant noise at idle, then kick it in gear and it goes away, that's the Ipb. If It's a knocking sound that sounds like a rod knock its probably the rotor/comp bolts. How many miles on it? not really anything else in there that goes on a dyna.
it has 7500 miles on. I can't explain the sound myself either. I barely notice it at idle. But you can here it. still makes a little noise when on the throttle. Hard to tell with my dam loud D&D fatcat. Its definitely not a knocking sound.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 PM
Spud17
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sense it's an 06 is probably either IPB or stator. If you are on your bike start it up and pull clutch in and if noise goes away it is more then likely IPB. I had an 06 wg that had IPB go out at 7500 miles.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 PM
EastBay_Solo
Road Master

Originally Posted by o_leary17
Sense it's an 06 is probably either IPB or stator. If you are on your bike start it up and pull clutch in and if noise goes away it is more then likely IPB. I had an 06 wg that had IPB go out at 7500 miles.

Ok I will check it tomorrow. thanks everyone for all the input.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 PM
apehanger65
Tourer

Originally Posted by vdop
what he said! i had the ipb go last year on my 06 sounded like an old metal rollerskate wheel

Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 PM
macnab_sf
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EastBay_Solo
it has 7500 miles on. I can't explain the sound myself either. I barely notice it at idle. But you can here it. still makes a little noise when on the throttle. Hard to tell with my dam loud D&D fatcat. Its definitely not a knocking sound.

When my IPB went, it was plenty loud, and you could hear it best in neutral with the clutch out. if you can barely notice it at idle, it may not be IPB.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:44 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

With the motor idling, pull in your clutch and drop it into 1st. This will stop the output shaft rotation. Shift back into Neutral and with the clutch still in, roll on a few hundred RPM above idle. Then release your clutch and listen for a whirring noise as you do. If it's your IPB, you'll hear it clearly with this method; sounds like spinning on old metal roller-skate wheel. If that's it, go immediately to my old thread "Finally Good News..." and start reading. It's not a disaster, but a little education can save you tons of money.

Quick Reply: Ipbf ?