Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blocks or Shocks..........

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:59 PM
little squirt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blocks or Shocks..........

I know there is some discussion on this but after searching for 2 days, are blocks that bad?

First off, I'm only 155lbs. will I really notice the blocks changing the suspension geometry? I sit on my 13' bob and my rear shocks don't even move. If I bounce on the seat I can see them move some what.

Situation #1- buy 1" lowering block for like $70 so my feet sit flat at a stop light. Do they really ride that bad?

Situation #2- buy 11" or 10.5" shocks for like $200 for the same results, I'd just hate to ditch my brand new shocks that only have 18 miles on them.

Who has blocks and still run them vs. who ditched them and bought shocks?

90% of my riding will probably be 1 up, with the occasional weekend cruises with a chicky.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't mind the stock ride you can get blocks and crank up the preload. It's cheaper. Any shock you can buy for under $400 that lowers your bike will ride like garbage anyway. Anyone who tells you different hasn't ridden on a quality shock. I ran 1" blocks for two years without any issue other than bottoming out occasionally but I'm 75lbs heavier than you.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I ditched mine. Every once in a while I would hear them bang against the frame, when I hit a bump. checked bolts, they were tight, so I just took them off . I didn't notice any difference in the ride with the blocks on I just don't want to hear parts rattle going down the road. I haven't got to ride my Superglide with the 11" shocks yet. I just got them for xmas and impatiently await spring.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 PM
little squirt
Tourer

Originally Posted by ryderbiker
If you don't mind the stock ride you can get blocks and crank up the preload. It's cheaper. Any shock you can buy for under $400 that lowers your bike will ride like garbage anyway. Anyone who tells you different hasn't ridden on a quality shock. I ran 1" blocks for two years without any issue other than bottoming out occasionally but I'm 75lbs heavier than you.
Well that sounds like what I needed to hear! I'll give em a shot. Once bike has weight on it, will the blocks sit or rub on the swingarm? Wonder if I should put something in between to prevent metal on metal or the blocks rubbing the paint off the swingarm with movement. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior

If they are torqued right with loctite they shouldn't move. Mine rubbed one side of the swingarm and marked up the powder coat. I didn't have any rattling issues like the othe dude mentioned. I can snap you a pic of what it did after two year of riding crappy roads in Kansas and Oklahoma.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:19 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

I have run blocks on a couple of my bikes. The sporty I have 20k miles over two years. They will not move/rub against the paint.

Here is a link to some for your 13 SB that will not have the tire hitting the fender as long as you stay 200 lbs or less.

Black or Chrome 1"

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-01-2013, 11:06 PM
little squirt
Tourer

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I have run blocks on a couple of my bikes. The sporty I have 20k miles over two years. They will not move/rub against the paint.

Here is a link to some for your 13 SB that will not have the tire hitting the fender as long as you stay 200 lbs or less.

Black or Chrome 1"

Thank you!!

Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

you mentioned how you shocks didn't move unless you bounced on em well if they are that stiff you have them set wrong.
If blocks made for you bike is set up correctly they should not rub. There are more than one style so if they rub you may have em that really is not made for your bike but for several bikes of the same type.
I am not fond of em myself because they change the angle of the shocks and the shocks can not preform properly. So handling is effected whether you notice it or not.
You want to lower it do it right and get some good grade lowered shocks but be prepared to pay. A good set will set you back at least $400 but if you want a good ride lowered it may cost you more.
I have done this many times and have found this is the only good solution.

dd

Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 PM
ryderbiker
Road Warrior

If you want lower and better handling you should look up Howard at motorcycle metal. He is doing JRI shock that are lowered but still give a great ride. Be prepared to spend some cash, they're very pricey. You really get what you pay for with suspension stuff, unless you buy progressive, IMO all their stuff is garbage.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:32 AM
orange52
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I have blocks on my 08 dyna. I'm 250lbs and haven't had any problems. When I bought the bike it had progressive 412's on it. After about a 50 mile ride, they puked oil all over my swingarm and wheel. That's when I found the blocks and went back to stock shocks.

Quick Reply: Blocks or Shocks..........