Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought First HD - 2004 FXDLi

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Chiledog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Bought First HD - 2004 FXDLi

Re the title, I have a new to me bike and first Harley. Started riding and moderate wrenching since 1971 but this is the first HD and EFI bike. Guy I bought it from didn't seem to know much about it and neither do I. Probably didn't do all of the "due diligence" I should have but I was giddy over a bike I have wanted for years and paid cash to bring it home. Took it for a short test ride and it rode great - much better than a 2003 FXDL carb I tried at the local dealer.

Odometer shows 34,000 miles, seller said it had a new battery but I now think that is BS. It is weak even after charging. Has Vance and Hines pipes and the breather cover says Screaming Eagle. Has if been "tuned" who knows - how do I know? Let in idle for 10+ minutes in the garage tonight and see the pipes glowing red up near the heads - seems abnormal to me????

Weather here is crappy and really cold so haven't yet had it on the rode since bringing it home.

Advice and comments ???

Attached Thumbnails Just Bought First HD - 2004 FXDLi-376350_4394275173738_1768355564_n.jpg  

Last edited by Chiledog; 02-02-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:30 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

I bought mine 4 years ago, love the EFI bike, had to buy it after a test ride. I supposedly have a stage one download on mine but that would probably have to be verified at the dealer, my plugs burn nice so I don't worry about it. Put a good battery in it and be done. You're going to build heat if you idle it for 10 min., so don't. There was a recall for 2004 where the throttle cable rubbed the gas tank tunnel, you should be able to look this up and check your VIN number to see if yours was done, I addressed this myself on my bike. Check your cam chain tensioners too. These are the only two issues that I can think of. Any questions, contact me, I have all the manuals. Good luck with your new ride.

Mike

Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 PM
ISLANDER1089
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there, I just bought my first "new" Harley in October 2012, a 2004 FXDLI with only 6900 miles on it. I had a 25 mile spin on it just before winter hit so I can't wait till spring. I don't know really anything about these v-twins so I bought the Clymer's Shop Manuel on-line.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:28 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

As you can tell, OldMike has the extremely rare left hand version ... LoL (the image in his signature photo has been 'reversed') ...

I have an '05 FXDI I bought new in early '06 ... have over 57,000 miles and love it ...

It is likely the EFI 'tune' is stock ... they come from the factory very lean ... hence, more heat ...

I would recommend you get a 'download' remap at a minimum and ask to get a printout or documentation of the AFR ... IIRC, the stock AFR is somewhere around 14.7 ... you'll run a lot cooler (and gain performance down around 13.5 or below) ...

I replaced my original cam chain tensioners at around 22,000 miles when I replaced the stock cams with Andrews TW37B cams ... they were about 30-40% gone ...

I replaced my stock ECM (electronic control module) with a ThunderMax ECM, which allows you to do your own EFI tuning (or a shop that is capable) ... it also will auto-tune (fine tune) your map ...

If you haven't done so, there are a ton of informative threads on the Dyna section ... an index of sorts is 'sticky' at the top of the page ...

I strongly recommend you get the Harley Davidson owner's manual for you specific model year ... (the other non-MoCo manuals just are not nearly as good) ...

Post up specific questions on the Dyna model here ... there is another 'tech forum' with sections dealing with engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc. for specific questions on those topics (and you will find more responses from other guys who own non-Dyna models) ...

Stick around and I think you will find the forum a very useful resource ... (and lots of encouragement to spend money on upgrades--so watch out!) ....

Welcome aboard ...

R/
'Chop

Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Congratulations on your new FXDLI, it looks damn near new in the picture. Good advice from Surfor Chop. I picked up an 04 Dyna Service manual here on the classifieds so you may want to keep an eye out for one. After I installed the SE airbox on mine I rode it straight to the dealer for the $150 download. It ran much better after that. Back then it richened up the mixture, I'm not sure if they still do or not? I don't believe it does on the newer bikes but it still may for 04's. If your dealer plugs into your bikes ECM it should read if it was already done or not.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Chiledog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For peace of mind I think I'll take it to the dealer later this week and have all of the fluids changed - previous owner said he changed the oil about 1000 miles back but was kind of vague about it. It looks like the rear exhaust pipe has to be removed to get the transmission fill plug out? Hopefully the dealer can scan the ECU and tell me if it has been remapped.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM
clout2301
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new scoot!

Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiledog
For peace of mind I think I'll take it to the dealer later this week and have all of the fluids changed ....
Probably a good idea. Make sure they replace the brake fluid and bleed the system.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats man, that bike does look pretty sharp. Good luck getting to know the in's and out's of her. Spring is almost here!

Old 02-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
As you can tell, OldMike has the extremely rare left hand version ... LoL (the image in his signature photo has been 'reversed') ...

I have an '05 FXDI I bought new in early '06 ... have over 57,000 miles and love it ...

It is likely the EFI 'tune' is stock ... they come from the factory very lean ... hence, more heat ...

I would recommend you get a 'download' remap at a minimum and ask to get a printout or documentation of the AFR ... IIRC, the stock AFR is somewhere around 14.7 ... you'll run a lot cooler (and gain performance down around 13.5 or below) ...

I replaced my original cam chain tensioners at around 22,000 miles when I replaced the stock cams with Andrews TW37B cams ... they were about 30-40% gone ...

I replaced my stock ECM (electronic control module) with a ThunderMax ECM, which allows you to do your own EFI tuning (or a shop that is capable) ... it also will auto-tune (fine tune) your map ...

If you haven't done so, there are a ton of informative threads on the Dyna section ... an index of sorts is 'sticky' at the top of the page ...

I strongly recommend you get the Harley Davidson owner's manual for you specific model year ... (the other non-MoCo manuals just are not nearly as good) ...

Post up specific questions on the Dyna model here ... there is another 'tech forum' with sections dealing with engine, drivetrain, suspension, etc. for specific questions on those topics (and you will find more responses from other guys who own non-Dyna models) ...

Stick around and I think you will find the forum a very useful resource ... (and lots of encouragement to spend money on upgrades--so watch out!) ....

Welcome aboard ...

R/
'Chop
Holy crap...I've never noticed that!

Quick Reply: Just Bought First HD - 2004 FXDLi