Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Alternator blow up with pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Rog6679
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to the local dealer and as I guessed they wanted to hear nothing. The kit #40356-06B is actually the rotor and stator part #'s for the 07. When I talked to the service dept they said I would have to change my inner primary which is wrong. So I just ordered it from New Castle Harley for $211 shipped as the local wanted $308. Now its just a waiting game till it gets here.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:53 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield...

I had a very similar experience with my '01 SG a couple of months back. My ride wouldn't crank one morning because the battery was dead. I bought a book with the bike and I am a fair airplane mechanic and I tracked it down to a bad stator and it didn't look like I would need any special tools to replace it. I called the dealer to see if this was covered under the extended warranty I bought with the bike. They told me that the stator was covered under warranty, then showed me and explained that there was a problem with the IPB and they replaced all of that under warranty, and they replaced the cam tensioners at the same time because I asked them to look at them because the bike had 34.5K miles on it. The warranty cost me $1200....the total invoiced for the job was over $1300 and my out of pocket deductible was $60. I NEVER buy extended warranties but I just didn't know squat about these new Harley Davidsons so the extended warranty ended up being the right call this time...I got 18 months left on it and I am planning a long ride to Alabama in a couple of weeks and hoping I don't need it but glad it's there all the same.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Ratt
Stage IV

Last July I bought an 06 Low Rider with 3,000 miles on it. In October riding home from work I got the battery and engine light. Hobbled home with a few back fires.

Last weekend found the forum on the web looking for clues as to what it could be. Found an old thread from pkelly about the 2006 Dyna stators and IPB issues. Checked my key off amp draw then stated the bike but the battery wasn't getting a charge. Probed the stator plug connection and got nothing.

Yea the "witch hunt" has me worried. I called MoCo customer service and they denied any issues with the bolted stator. I think I have an early bike purchased in 8/05. It apparently had 2 recalls none related to the stator. One was for a tranny issue and they replaced the IPB while they were in there. The dealer also denied any knowledge of stator issues with the Dynas.

I don't want to join the witch hunt but should I be worried. I've read a lot of posts about changing the stator, IPB, Tranny case, IPB case... and with 07 parts. It looks like I'm going to have to open it up and it looks like its on my dime.

Any suggestions as to how far I should go with replacements? Do I need to get the doweled tranny case? Will I keep having failures if I just replace the stator? Should I sell? I've been street riding a few years now and this is my second Harley but I haven't had to dig into them too much. Could use some experienced advice.

Last edited by Ratt; 03-26-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:49 AM
Kevinsmidt
Cruiser

You have 2 options in my opinion:
1. Ride it until it breaks and then use all of the information on this forum to arm wrestle with your local dealership to try to get them to replace the parts on their dime. Be prepared for huge amounts of headache and back and forth phone calls not to mention lost riding time.
2. Buy a Baker IPB, some gaskets and a bottle of red loctite (for the stator screws) and fix it yourself. This option requires some labor, but it is cheap and easy and only takes a couple hours and basic hand tools. A local shop could do it as well if you don't like getting your hands dirty.

All bikes have their issues. Some 06's go forever without needing the above "fixes". Don't start hating your scoot for being a machine and not being perfect. These are two very minor problems compared to most other bikes. With these fixes, you get the most bullet proof TC 88 that was produced with a 6 speed. Pretty good deal in my opinion.
No matter what route you choose, I can't stress enough to just get it fixed and enjoy your ride again. Too many people let one bad experience ruin the love of the ride. I "fixed" my 06 myself before it broke and have rode it for thousands of trouble free miles and have had some amazing memories. I won't ever sell it.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:48 PM
bremsstrahlung
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PKellyMc
In all my dealings and contacts with other Forum members about this issue, I've learned that HD is still repairing these problems on their dime. If you search out my thread "Finally Good News...", you'll see guys as recently as last year getting theirs fixed, up to the "Full Monty"....

I guess I can chime in here because I went through this last summer with my 2006 FXDI. I began getting the unmistakable Inner Primary Bearing noise. And, yes, thanks to PKelly and his thread mentioned, I was educated on the issue and got Harley to help upgrade my bike. Even though my bike was bought used in 2012, from a non-Harley shop, not even in the state I live in, with no service history and no warranty on it ever and was SEVEN years old when I called them... Harley still agreed to basically split the bill with me. I paid for labor and they paid for parts. ( over $1,000 in parts ) I got them to authorize the new '07 inner primary case, new tranny case and new '07 stator/rotor while they were in there even though my original stator/rotor was working fine. They also installed a new Baker bearing that I provided just for extra insurance.

I dunno, I mean why would they agree to give me alllll those pricey parts for free? They owed me absolutely nothing. I didn't even buy the bike from them.

Last edited by bremsstrahlung; 03-27-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dog-eared for ready reference.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:19 PM
Ratt
Stage IV

Ordered a manual from the dealer and I'll try to get a copy of what has been done to the bike already on the recalls when I pick it up. When I talked to Customer Service they said its on me. Maybe because it is a stator and not the IPB, which they say was replaced under a recall for the tranny issue; "all safety recalls have been satisfied on your bike". I'd be happy with just the parts but they're denying any knowledge of stator problems and I'm loosing riding time. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just try to fix what's broke and get back on the road.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Dynaglide68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my bike new in 2006 5,000 miles later inner primary was making noise and the former dealer in Stratford , Ct fix / replaced it with no charge , since then another 20,000 was put on and no other problems have occurred , it also still has the original battery , i'll know this summer if i have any problems