Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting a rebuild of a 06 Dyna Wide Glide..

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:10 AM
vegasrak19
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting a rebuild of a 06 Dyna Wide Glide..

My father in law just passed away a couple weeks ago on his 06 Wide Glide.. The family thought it should stay in the family and gave it to me a couple days ago.. It needs a lot of cosmetic work... New gas tank, front fender, rear fender, strut support covers, turn signals front/rear, voltage regulator, forks, handlebars, controls, grips, and levers to name a few... Always been a avid reader of the site and knew I needed to come here for some advice and mentoring.. I have worked on bikes before but never a rebuild like this.. Was hoping some of the experts here could point me in the right direction to get some parts to begin the process... Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks..

Old 02-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear of the circumstances that brought you this bike.

That being said, may forum members here are generous with knowledge and sometimes spare parts. Ebay will be your friend for a lot of these parts, and many times full tin sets pop up on there for a steal. You building back to stock(ish) or using this chance to build something custom?

Here is a pretty solid deal, not amazing but not bad:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-07-Harl...b65913&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Good_Apollo; 02-06-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 PM
vegasrak19
Advanced

Well at first the goal is to get the bike rolling.. Then planned to do some custom work to get it to a finished goal... It will probably take me about a year or so to be able to get funds together just to get it back on the road... I have been able to reuse a good amount of parts that I otherwise thought we trashed so that does save me a little money.. I did see the tins that you put up.. I like the look at them and thought it was a steal myself.. But good ole household 6 said she didn't want to see a yellow bike in the garage.. Thank you for the heads up..

Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 PM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

Older wide glides are sweet rides! Ask me how I know...

I'm sure a lot of us with the older wide glides would be happy to help you however we can. I have a bunch of parts from my 02 WG laying around in the garage - rear fender, handlebar controls, etc. If you need something in particular, just shoot me a note and I may have it.

Best of luck with your rebuild!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM
vegasrak19
Advanced

Thank you and I would like to know more about what you have available.. Just not quite sure how to send a note..

Old 02-06-2013, 01:43 PM
dsbfxdwg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by vegasrak19
Thank you and I would like to know more about what you have available.. Just not quite sure how to send a note..
Not sure what all I have in my garage at the moment. I purged a bunch of my spare parts last year for my 02. I know for sure I have a "real red" rear fender, but I'm not sure it fits 06. I know it fits 02-05. I also have all the handlebar controls, including switches, levers, cables, front brake cylinder, etc, off my 02. They were all stock OE parts when I pulled them off to install apes, so they aren't new, but they were in good working condition when removed. There's other stuff, too, but I don't remember exactly, so I'd have to look to see what I did and didn't sell.

I believe you need to get to like 10 posts or something before you can send a private message on HD forums.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The good part of this is you can do it like you want and have it your way.
From what you posted it will not be that hard to do yourself. Just take your time and learn. Get you a service manual to start with.
Other than cost I think you find this every interesting and not that hard to do as well as very rewarding in the end..
A parts manual will come in handy unless you have a good parts guy that is willing to help and know what he is doing. Ebay is a good place to look. If there is a salvage yard close to you that would be helpful.
I will try to find a link About a site that carries lots of used parts. I have used them a couple of times and they are straight up folks, tells you exactly the condition of the part.
I am truly sorry for the reason you need to do this.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:18 PM
greenstreetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the circumstances of your acquisition. I don't have anything that will fit your bike, but interested in seeing where you go with it.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:29 PM
vegasrak19
Advanced

Originally Posted by dsbfxdwg
Not sure what all I have in my garage at the moment. I purged a bunch of my spare parts last year for my 02. I know for sure I have a "real red" rear fender, but I'm not sure it fits 06. I know it fits 02-05. I also have all the handlebar controls, including switches, levers, cables, front brake cylinder, etc, off my 02. They were all stock OE parts when I pulled them off to install apes, so they aren't new, but they were in good working condition when removed. There's other stuff, too, but I don't remember exactly, so I'd have to look to see what I did and didn't sell.

I believe you need to get to like 10 posts or something before you can send a private message on HD forums.
Any parts right now would be helpful.. Especially if I don't have to but brand new.. I planned on this being a patch type bike with non matching parts to just get it back on the road.. From there I can work on getting parts here and there to make it the way I like..
Once you go thru the parts let me know what is available and prices to go with it.. Thank you once again sir..

Old 02-06-2013, 02:35 PM
vegasrak19
Advanced

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
The good part of this is you can do it like you want and have it your way.
From what you posted it will not be that hard to do yourself. Just take your time and learn. Get you a service manual to start with.
Other than cost I think you find this every interesting and not that hard to do as well as very rewarding in the end..
A parts manual will come in handy unless you have a good parts guy that is willing to help and know what he is doing. Ebay is a good place to look. If there is a salvage yard close to you that would be helpful.
I will try to find a link About a site that carries lots of used parts. I have used them a couple of times and they are straight up folks, tells you exactly the condition of the part.
I am truly sorry for the reason you need to do this.
I have a salvage yard nearby that I plan on scoping out tomorrow...
Ironic part of all of this was me and him got along based on our mutual love to ride Harleys and we owned the same type of bike just a couple years apart.. He was a mechanic for the Navy and has every tool you could imagine.. I always wanted to rebuild a bike and this reason just makes it much more special..

Quick Reply: Starting a rebuild of a 06 Dyna Wide Glide..