Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of my street bob! Creative input for a custom paint-job appreciated :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Red89
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pics of my street bob! Creative input for a custom paint-job appreciated :)

Hello friends,
So a while ago I was toying with the thought of doing a custom paintjob with my Denim Black Street Bob. Nothing too over the top, definitely no flames or tribal style designs. Maybe some pinstriping in gloss black over the denim black that'll keep the bike simple and low-key, but really give it an edge.

I put that to bed for a while and instead ordered my Lepera Villain and fitted that, love it. Then a few days ago, I took my seat off to lift the tank while installing my new bars. To my dismay, the rear fender is damaged. Stupid me assumed it would be fine but I was clearly mistaken.

So I'm looking for some creative input as to what you guys think would look cool. This guy nearby does really good work painting bikes but I need something that'll
A) cover the damage while riding with my solo seat.
B) continue further than my 2-up seat so it's not hidden all the time.

The dealership said they wanted around 400USD to repaint my fender. Er, no thanks.

Check out the pics!

The seat, before I installed my new bars...

And the damage caused...

New bars and seat in my father's garage. Next to his BMW

New bars, 2-up seat removed.

The 2-up seat is staying off until the paint is resolved. What would you guys do?

For anyone interested the bars are Wild1 Chubby Outlawz 12". I plan to install a D&D fatcat sometime soon and replace the passenger footpegs. Not digging the current look of those.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Cory S
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would touch it up and resolve the seat messing the paint up problem first. I think gloss over flat would look dope. With some lime green pinstripping

Old 02-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Red89
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cory S
I would touch it up and resolve the seat messing the paint up problem first. I think gloss over flat would look dope. With some lime green pinstripping
I agree, those dents are a definite eyesore, something has to be done. I've read way too many posts with people saying it's the nature of the paint. That simply isn't good enough for me. The denim finishes are almost impossible to touch up properly. Can't buff them out or use a touch up pen, apparently. I'm thinking of just getting a flat black John Deere rattle can, spraying it into a cup and filling in the dents with a toothpick or something.

As for future prevention, when I told HD what happened, they wanted $40 for the piece of plastic that sits between the fender and the seat. Looks like I'll be modifying my seat to soften it up on the bottom somehow.

And hell yeah, a tiny neon green stripe would definitely be sick, although I'm more a low key kind of guy. I thought maybe gloss black jagged stripes that curve the shape of the fender, with like some metallic gray placed in areas to make it pop out...

Old 02-07-2013, 06:46 PM
xracer110
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

De-badge tank, add one white 50's style scalp out lined in gloss red, a very little red and white pinstriping on the top of the rear fender. dont go overboard with the stripping. Most pin strippers do too much. no front fender work [keep it clean] if you wanted a little more accent maybe a thin stripe out lining the rims or maybe your initials hidden into a little red and white design on your horn cover. less is more. my old man was a painter in the 60's through the 80's only doing hot rods and bikes. unfortunately he passed before i got my current bike.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Save your money for important stuff. Just touch-up the paint, yourself, and put a small leather/vinyl bib over the seat imprint when you run the solo seat.

Last edited by lo-rider; 02-07-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:28 PM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Denim paint is meant to show the wear. Leave it be.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

I would also mention the damage done to the seat manufacturer. Seems if this model seat was made for your bike, it should not damage it.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Six16
Road Captain

If i were to re-do my tins, I'd gloss black the fenders and do that tank in a different color.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 PM
little squirt
Tourer

I think the denim black with gloss black pin stripping would be awesome!

Old 02-08-2013, 03:13 AM
jusa
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Since you asked ; )
II World War fighter plane theme.
Matte grey/silver paint job.
Gloss red detailing.
Red/white pinstripes.
Red wheels.
Maybe whitewalls.
Red grips.
Red pegs.
Black leather saddlebags from Lejonkulan (see Lejonkulan.com).
Just my 2 euro cents.

Quick Reply: Pics of my street bob! Creative input for a custom paint-job appreciated :)