Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Triple tree adjustment help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Csands
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triple tree adjustment help

I got a new 2012 wideglide, triple trees have been cocked to the right since day one ( from assembly). I brought it to 2 dealers 4 differant times and they just don't get it,even telling them what needs to be done ( read about it in this forum, seems to be common problem). So going to fix my self. Here's the questions - do I need to jack the front end up? And when I loosen the tree pinch bolts to adjust do I loosen that top bolt also ( the one under handle bars)?

Old 02-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,798 Likes on 757 Posts

I'd roll the bike up to something like your garage door frame, a tree, or telephone post and tap the front wheel against it in the direction you want it to go.

I'm not talking about slamming it against anything, just kinda hit it up against it. Make sure you don't dent your fender up.

If that doesn't work then your going to have to loosen the bolts that hold your fork tubes to move it. Unless your fork tubes come through the top of your trees you shouldn't have to jack the bike up. I'd just break the bolts loose enough to get it to move.

Best bet would be to sit on the bike holding it up, and have a friend hold the front wheel between his knees and move it where you want it.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 AM
Csands
Novice

Thanks for the reply, I'll be trying that on the next day off.
So I don't have to loosen that top bolt under the handle bars (looks like it has a cap on it) just pinch bolts?

Old 02-08-2013, 04:12 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

don't loosen the steering stem without jacking up the bike first. Hes talking about the lower pinch bolts that hold the tubes in the tree. The steering stem should be fine unless you need to adjust your fall away

Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 AM
Csands
Novice

Ok thanks, I'll post results

Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

I'm curious as to how the trees are crooked? Not insulting or anything like that, just trying to understand the issue.

I don't see how they could be crooked once the fork tubes and front wheel is mounted.

Is it not just your bars/risers that need adjusting? Is your front tire wearing improperly?

Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you sure it is not the risers? I'd lossen the risers and put the front wheel in a corner. Yank on teh bars until they are straight and tighten it all back down.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:24 AM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

post a pic of what is not straight so you can get a better answer.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:36 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Mine front end is not perfectly inline either. I have NEVER had a Harley that was and I have had quite a few...

Old 02-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Csands
Novice

A picture wouldn't show it, you notice it when rideing, bike tracks fIne and straight. It's if you look at the triple trees, they are twisted in the fork tubes more the right and not center with tank. It's not the bars or the tank, it's trees are not center. They may be off a hair, but I notice it.

Quick Reply: Triple tree adjustment help