Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Custom Paint Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:38 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts
Default HD Custom Paint Questions?

This is a photo of my new to me '01 Dyna taken the day I rode it home. I am not all that into the paint scheme but I was told when I bought it that it was a Harley Davidson custom paint job and I was again told by a customizing shop that it probably was a factory custom paint scheme and that I should not have it repainted because that would decrease the value of the bike.

My questions are, how can I find out if this is a genuine factory custom paint scheme and is there real value in keeping it. I figured that if anyone would know, someone here would.

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2013, 12:02 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

I don't know about a bike that old, but as of late they've always had a bar and shiled and #/# on the lower right hand side of the tank right by the seat. Can't tell from the picture but I don't see on on yours.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

closer shot of tank

Old 02-10-2013, 12:14 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Sorry brother, I'm just not sure how old the paint set is with you bike being a 01. But the bar and shield numbers on the newer ones (matter of fact everyone I've ever seen) would be on the back of the tank right above where the center bolt is on your rocker box top. And I just don't see it. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge of the older custom paint sets will chime in.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:28 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the tank!

It looks like your fenders are vivid black. If you are patient, you can probably find a black tank on ebay and replace your custom paint and have a black scooter. Probably be less expensive to buy a used tank than to paint.

Last edited by mmcbeat; 02-10-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:28 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks, craigffb. There are no numbers or any identifying marks that I can see either. The front fender has a dent and big chip on it and I am really not into this paint scheme. I was checking into having the front fender and tank repainted back to the dark purple color and keep the ripped scheme on the rear fender. I can live with this paint job if it increases the value of the bike when I go to sell or trade it, but I still have to do something about the front fender.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:34 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
I like the tank!

It looks your fenders are vivid black. If you are patient, you can probably find a black tank on ebay and replace your custom paint and have a black scooter. Probably be less expensive to buy a used tank than to paint.
Thanks mmcbeat! The registration paperwork says it is purple and in the sunlight it is a very dark purple. I like the color just not this particular scheme. The custom shop also said to find another tank and fender and have them painted the original purple color and keep the original tank the way it is. That might be the way to go. I have been getting a lot of positive comments on it.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:43 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What's wrong with it.
It looks great.
But it is you eyes that have to be pleased, not mine.
I agree I would not paint over that scheme.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, I got a pretty good deal on the bike and it does get a lot of attention when I am out and about so I have decided to keep the paint and look for another tank and front fender. The custom shop I went to had a couple of tanks but they were pretty pricey. Then again, maybe I will save my $$ for some new pipes...I have done a lot to it since that photo was taken...I guess I need to get up some more photos...but for some reason, when it is nice and sunny, I want to ride and not do a photo shoot.

Thanks for the input, y'all.

Last edited by skinman13; 02-11-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:18 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by skinman13
Well, I got a pretty good deal on the bike and it does get a lot of attention when I am out and about so I have decided to keep the paint and look for another tank and front fender. The custom shop I went to had a couple of tanks but they were pretty pricey. Then again, maybe I will save my $$ for some new pipes...I have done a lot to it since that photo was taken...I guess I need to get up some more photos...but for some reason, when it is nice and sunny, I want to ride and not do a photo shoot.

Thanks for the input, y'all.
Get a set off ebay.

Quick Reply: HD Custom Paint Questions?