Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternatives to powder coating

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 AM
GeneBinderFXDB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternatives to powder coating

Wanted to get your opinions on this topic. I had some old parts from my bike and decided to do some experimenting. I sanded down a chrome piece that I will not use anymore and painted it with the matte black high heat rustoleum. No primer; just a thorough clean and two coats. It turned out looking really nice. Seems pretty durable as well. What do you guys think of this approach vs. powder coating? Does anyone have experience with this and the long term out looks like? I'm thinking of taking a few other parts on my bike black and may use this as a substitute to powder coating. Thanks. Robbie, would you even consider this for the raw fender?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 AM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might look ok for a few months, but it is going to chip and turn color on you. If it is something you dont mind removing and repainting every 6 mos...go for it, otherwise powdercoat and be done with it.

If you are looking for that "rat bike" look....put it on your tins and then let it weather. Rattlecan paint jobs are almost a must in that case

Old 02-11-2013, 09:01 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GeneBinderFXDB
Wanted to get your opinions on this topic. I had some old parts from my bike and decided to do some experimenting. I sanded down a chrome piece that I will not use anymore and painted it with the matte black high heat rustoleum. No primer; just a thorough clean and two coats. It turned out looking really nice. Seems pretty durable as well. What do you guys think of this approach vs. powder coating? Does anyone have experience with this and the long term out looks like? I'm thinking of taking a few other parts on my bike black and may use this as a substitute to powder coating. Thanks. Robbie, would you even consider this for the raw fender?
Go for it! I had some pieces painted for 2 years, like battery band and headlight trim (just had them coated by Joe @ The Powder Pro though) and they held up fine. No primer either, just scotch-brite and 2 coats. They did not change color or fade either. I only had them powdered because I was having other parts done at same time.

With that said, powder is the way to go.... if you got the time and money. If not, spray paint away!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I like the DupliColor truck bed liner (also rattle can)

You can't get it off without sandblasting. Stays black, wrinkle-like finish and extremely durable. $8 a can at Lowes and goes a long way.

PC is really good and provides several colors as well as different finish options, but if wrinkle black is the goal, this stuff works great.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

both work just depends on how much you wanna spend and how long you want it to last.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Some examples of the truck bed liner.

I wouldn't put it on larger surfaces, especially tank and fenders, just because it goes on thick and is hard to control. PC is a much better option for "pretty" coverage.

Attached Thumbnails Alternatives to powder coating-2013-02-11-10.22.11.jpg   Alternatives to powder coating-2013-02-11-10.22.42.jpg   Alternatives to powder coating-2013-02-11-10.32.37.jpg  
Old 02-11-2013, 10:52 AM
escherWG
Cruiser

i've used rustoleum appliance epoxy on headlight trim, shock springs, fork lowers, battery band. has held up for 2 years w/ no problems.

good sand, clean, and as many coats as you can apply in 30 min, 5min break between coats

in the process of doing the same epoxy on front and rear wheels, trees, and a few other misc parts. i'll post a quick writeup once all is done.

spray away!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:59 AM
GeneBinderFXDB
Intermediate

thanks for your input. I was mainly considering doing it on smaller pieces. I'll post some pics when I'm done

Old 02-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with everyone else. I suck at painting anything even with a rattle can. I usually let my buddy do that part. He's more patient than I am. I always get runs in it. If money's tight with the bike now I say spray away. It's not like it's something you can't take back off and redo if it needs it. I have another guy I ride with and that's all he has ever done to his bike.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Buddy was shooting some 2 stage gloss black and gave me a heads up so I sanded off the chrome and had him shoot them. Over my head. Friends with benefits!

Quick Reply: Alternatives to powder coating