Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem - HD LED Headlight on '12 WG

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM
DeerTexas
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem - HD LED Headlight on '12 WG

I installed a new HD LED Headlight on my 2012 Wide Glide and it caused the red Security light to illuminate on the speedo. Waco Harley Davidson said they contacted HD Corporate about it and it was a known issue they were working on. Longhorn Harley Davidson never heard of the problem. Does ANYONE know what causes this and is there a fix yet? It doesn't cause any operating problems, it's just annoying as F. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best guess is that the reduced LED current draw is significant enough to fool the bike into thinking the headlight is inoperable. I wonder is there's a load equalizer so to speak like used in LED turn signals.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Black electrical tape.......no more worries

Old 02-17-2013, 04:50 PM
DeerTexas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shrug
Best guess is that the reduced LED current draw is significant enough to fool the bike into thinking the headlight is inoperable. I wonder is there's a load equalizer so to speak like used in LED turn signals.
Thanks for your input. I wondered the same thing. The folks at the dealership didn't seem to think a load equalizer would fix it. Would love to hear something official about the problem.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:14 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerTexas
Thanks for your input. I wondered the same thing. The folks at the dealership didn't seem to think a load equalizer would fix it. Would love to hear something official about the problem.
Ya I bet the load EQ would probably fix it. Another option is to wire the lights directly to the battery thru a relay. Then use the headlight circuit to trip the relay. But if the LED's don't draw enough load, the relay will draw less.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:19 PM
brandon95354
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2012 street bob, after installing the led light my red speedo light goes on and off also. Another issue is my led headlight will not stay on high beam. It may be on high for 30 min or 2 min. Once it flashes back to low beam, you have to turn off the ignition and restart the bike to get high beam back on.
Does your wg do this to.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 PM
DeerTexas
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brandon95354
I have a 2012 street bob, after installing the led light my red speedo light goes on and off also. Another issue is my led headlight will not stay on high beam. It may be on high for 30 min or 2 min. Once it flashes back to low beam, you have to turn off the ignition and restart the bike to get high beam back on.
Does your wg do this to.
Brandon - No, I'm not having that problem at all. The only problem is the red security light stays on. I'll let you know if and when I find a fix. Sounds like your problem is more serious, but I'm bettin the fix is the same. A load eq would be a simple fix if that would work. Still waiting to hear from Harley Davidson.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:38 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master

Was this issue ever resolved?

Old 06-10-2013, 10:05 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Should be a load equalizer built into the circuitry of this plug-and-play add-on from H-D.

How about illumination ? Do these leds providie noticeably better light than the halogen?

Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master

Originally Posted by leafman60
Do these leds providie noticeably better light than the halogen?
I think that subject is debatable. I'm more interested in the lower current draw and the extended bulb life. Load equalizers will probably null-out the benifits of the lower current draw tho.

Quick Reply: Problem - HD LED Headlight on '12 WG