Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel mileage sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 AM
ShortFatMexican
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel mileage sucks!

I know there are many threads with bad fuel mileage subjects but thought I'd try again. I have an '09 with a SERT, SE air cleaner and V&H Shortshots and from day ONE, I have averaged no better than 35mpg. However, that is almost all around town. I have been out on the interstate and taken some long trips but never gotten more than 45 mpg. I've had it on the dyno THREE times, once after break-in, once at the 10K service and again about six months ago and still the same. It runs like a scalded dog so I've learned to live with it. It's just that it's sort of a bummer when other Dyna folks I speak to tell me they get almost 50 mpg! I'm looking for gas almost always between the 120-130 mile mark. That's just retarded! I have read many posts claiming the Shortshots are the culprit but that sure seems like a huge loss in MPG to attribute to the exhaust. Any one have an opinion. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Your are getting the same mpg that I get - I think your Dyno tuner is giving you performance over econ which is what I like.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 AM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

only time I get around 50 is back and forth to work, thats on the freeway off the freeway,around town average 42, stock pipes with slipon, and upgrade K&N filter, no tuner just the xieds,thats running very easy not getting on it at all.if i jump on it im down around your figures,only run around 65 to 70 on the freeway above that milage drops

Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 AM
njohnson27
Advanced

I get similar MPG as well

Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 AM
ShortFatMexican
Cruiser

I looked at the Dyno charts (before/after) tis last time and really tightened things up; AFR is good throught the entire range, HP and torque improved from stock. Oh well, didn't buy it for the fuel economy .

Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have gotten 47-50 pretty consistently since break in.
I have stage 1 breather, V&H 3" slips-ons & dyno tuned with SEPST at break in. I had my tuner tune it for performance also & told him to forget about fuel economy & I still get good mileage out of it & runs awesome.
Having Wood TW-222 cams installed and dyno tuned again as we speak, so I imagine my mileage will suffer, but that's ok.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:18 AM
matto371
Cruiser

I have always gotten no more then 35 on my fxdx. But I beat the crap out of it every time I'm on it. If I rode it like I didn't steal it would be better lol.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:30 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best tank I've had was 56mpg but that was riding around on two lane back roads with an old fart that never goes over 60mph. If I do a lot of riding in town I may get as little as 35mpg but my average is around 40mpg. Riding style has a huge impact and I always run the **** out of mine.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 AM
ShortFatMexican
Cruiser

Originally Posted by matto371
I have always gotten no more then 35 on my fxdx. But I beat the crap out of it every time I'm on it. If I rode it like I didn't steal it would be better lol.
Yeah that's probably my biggest issue... but there really isn't any other way is there?

Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have got as high as 56 when I lived in the flat lands of Florida.......I regularly get 50 here in So Cal...it's the tune

Quick Reply: Fuel mileage sucks!