Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shop built License Plate Relo - 2013 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 01:45 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Shop built License Plate Relo - 2013 Street Bob

I got sick of the stock side plate installation. It's a terrible design in my opinion and it sticks out way too far.

I really didn't want a side plate anyway (mostly because I don't want to run wires at the swingarm.) So, with the help of Richard at HD Custom Fabrication (Thanks Richard!) I drew up what I wanted, contracted Richard to make and PC the bracket, and I finally installed it today.

It was a day well spent because I was stuck on a conference call for four hours. I multi-tasked the job.

I got the signals from someone here on the forum. The stock stalk on the left side is shorter than the stalk on the right to make up for the stock side plate mount. The signals I got were from a Fat Boy and have equal length stalks.

The only mods to the bike itself are wire splices. Everything else is completely reversible and I didn't need to mod the fender.

The whole kit is:
  1. A U shaped bracket made from 12 gauge steel.
  2. It picks up the signal bolts and I used 3/8" OD x 1/4" ID X 1" long bushings from Lowes to provide anti-rotation. The bushings mount at the forward holes for the wires and pass from the signal stalk to the inner bracket behind the fender wall. The wires pass through the bushings.
  • A Custom Dynamics LED license plate bracket.
  • A BKRider License plate mount bracket.

• I still need to find a better stash for the license plate wires, but I'm on my way to Lowes for some parts.

My only regret is that it was supposed to rain all day, but it turned out partly cloudy and 79.

Attached Thumbnails Shop built License Plate Relo - 2013 Street Bob-close-up.jpg   Shop built License Plate Relo - 2013 Street Bob-side.jpg   Shop built License Plate Relo - 2013 Street Bob-close-up-2.jpg   Shop built License Plate Relo - 2013 Street Bob-back.jpg   Shop built License Plate Relo - 2013 Street Bob-bracket.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
    JayDizzle (03-17-2016)
    Old 02-13-2013, 02:53 PM
    Bretley
    Cruiser
    Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does the center reflector attach on the rear fender? Could you have mounted something to that?

Old 02-13-2013, 02:57 PM
    JRK5892
    Banned
    Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

glad you where able to get it done!!! Richard does some awesome stuff he is actually custom making me a derby cover so i can sport some HD custom fab parts on my scoot!
    would be really nice to tie up into the fender and then drop it out the back so you do not see the bracket hanging out there, that is the only part that kills this look for me, but it is a great solution to the relocation! very creative man i dig it! top notch work as always Rich!

Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 PM
    highwayman1224
    Road Master
    Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bretley
    How does the center reflector attach on the rear fender? Could you have mounted something to that?
    It's just stuck on with double sided tape, I barely twisted it & it came off.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 PM
    SLV
    Elite HDF Member

Thanks Joe. Yeah, Richard did great.

I was thinking of tying the tag mount to a simple strap that attaches to the two seat mounts. I still might one day; I mainly wanted to see how it looked back there.

Originally Posted by Bretley
    The reflector is held on with two-sided tape. I removed it before the bike left the shop when it was new.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:31 PM
    Harleycruiser
    Outstanding HDF Member
    Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Very nice.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:35 PM
    jmeiers
    Road Warrior
    Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Why don't you get an older model Dyna full-sized fender with a laydown plate holder? Similar to what Joe has on his bike.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:19 PM
    SLV
    Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jmeiers
    Why don't you get an older model Dyna full-sized fender with a laydown plate holder? Similar to what Joe has on his bike.
    A lot of reasons.
    This mod was way cheaper.
    It's a new bike and I'm not ready for fender swapping and paint.
    I haven't seen one I like.
    This method is fully reversable in less than an hour.
    and....
    I kinda like it.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 PM
    DK Custom
    Platinum Sponsor
    Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by SLV
    I got sick of the stock side plate installation. It's a terrible design in my opinion and it sticks out way too far.

I really didn't want a side plate anyway (mostly because I don't want to run wires at the swingarm.) So, with the help of Richard at HD Custom Fabrication (Thanks Richard!) I drew up what I wanted, contracted Richard to make and PC the bracket, and I finally installed it today.

It was a day well spent because I was stuck on a conference call for four hours. I multi-tasked the job.

I got the signals from someone here on the forum. The stock stalk on the left side is shorter than the stalk on the right to make up for the stock side plate mount. The signals I got were from a Fat Boy and have equal length stalks.

The only mods to the bike itself are wire splices. Everything else is completely reversible and I didn't need to mod the fender.

The whole kit is:
    1. A U shaped bracket made from 12 gauge steel.
    2. It picks up the signal bolts and I used 3/8" OD x 1/4" ID X 1" long bushings from Lowes to provide anti-rotation. The bushings mount at the forward holes for the wires and pass from the signal stalk to the inner bracket behind the fender wall. The wires pass through the bushings.
    3. A Custom Dynamics LED license plate bracket.
    4. A BKRider License plate mount bracket.

I still need to find a better stash for the license plate wires, but I'm on my way to Lowes for some parts.

My only regret is that it was supposed to rain all day, but it turned out partly cloudy and 79.
    Looks good! Would love to see a side shot (like your sig pic) with it on.

DKCustomProducts.com
    Call/Text: 662-252-8828
    Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-13-2013, 06:16 PM
    SLV
    Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by DK Custom
    Looks good! Would love to see a side shot (like your sig pic) with it on.
    I'm going up or down the coast tomorrow; ill get lots of pics.

Charleston / Jacksonville. I guess it depends on what I want for lunch. Mmmmmm.....lunch!

Quick Reply: Shop built License Plate Relo - 2013 Street Bob