Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida laws and Vance & Hines Big Radius 2-into-2

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:15 AM
sigtau150
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida laws and Vance & Hines Big Radius 2-into-2

So I may be moving to Florida in the near future and have really wanted to put the black V&H Big Radius 2-2 pipes on my '12 Street Bob, but live in Cali and all dealers and most other places won't even install them on your bike in this state. Some even change the subject right after you bring it up.

I read that the FL law states that "On and after July 1, 2008, off-highway vehicles, when operating shall be equipped with a silencer or other device which limits sound emissions. Exhaust noise must not exceed 96 decibels in the A-weighting scale for vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1986"

So my question is... will dealers or indie bike shops install them out there and will I get ticketed if I don't ride like an a$$? Also, if I will get ticketed how much is the ticket fee range? And of course are there any options to make these pipes fall in to the "legal" range?

And I guess are there any other pipes that look like these from other manufacturers?

Last edited by sigtau150; 02-17-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:52 AM
gant
Road Master
Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Off highway vehicles means dirt bikes? I'm from cali as well what are shops telling u when u ask to have exhaust installed?

Old 02-17-2013, 01:28 AM
Bikeswainsmate
Advanced

I grew up in Florida and ride w big radius pipes here in SD. I have lived in SD for 7 years and have had super loud cars and bike. I have never got pulled over for any noise violations. SD is wayyyyyyy more strict than Fl. All the bikes down there are way over the decibel level but cops tend to look the other way unless ur riding drunk or really being a jack ***. I'm not expert but I do have a lot of friends in the police department out there and they tend to look the other way. If ur just cruising done the street minding your own, I don't see any body messing w you. There more worried about riced out Hondas trying to street race.

No cop wants to add to there never endless paper work for some chill guy w "loud" pipes. They accept the culture in my opinion.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:49 AM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,801 Likes on 758 Posts

I run V&H Fat Staggered Short Shots and havn't had any problems.

I had SE slip ons with no baffels on my Sportster before that and never had any trouble. They set car alarms off.

I guess if you were sitting at a light next to a cop and revved your bike up constantly while waiting for the light a cop might say something to you.

I cant imagine a shop not installing them for you, but it's a simple job to do it yourself.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:35 AM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

I put short shots on my Switchback, it may be a little loud but no problems. In Florida the dealers will even take the cats out of your pipes if you want. As stated though, pipes are an easy install to do yourself only about an hour complete.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:42 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Yea they will still install them. No problem unless you go into certain areas.
Daytona has been know to ticket. (The broom stick test.) Boca Raton will make you stop and push your bike to the city limits after they ticket you. (or at least that is what I have heard.)
It is more of a keep them quiet, and you will be fine, be an ***, and ask for problems.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:43 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

was at a dealer in FL just yesterday and they had a fatboy on the floor with VH BR pipes on it, and service department had similar on the show wall for install so I assume its ok...

Old 02-17-2013, 06:47 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

No inspections, No hassles with the cops here about pipes and after market accessories.
Just keep you speed to 10 over the limit.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:55 AM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Florida is kind of like the old day Wild West, they have no laws until they feel like enforcing them. Ride normal and nobody will bother you, act like an *** and guess what trouble will find you. Oh yes Bike Week is coming up, Rev the **** out of your loud pipes on Main Street and you will get stopped and worked over by the Police, I have seen this on a number of occasions.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:21 AM
ronherman
Tourer

they dont bother you unless you draw atention to yourself by acting like an a$$clown! most the cops dont care from my experience. Daytona will ticket you if your acting like an idiot and if your acting that way then you deserve to be ticketed! just my opinion thats all!

Quick Reply: Florida laws and Vance & Hines Big Radius 2-into-2