Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for 16" chrome ape hangers

Old 02-17-2013, 12:51 AM
Debo001
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for 16" chrome ape hangers

Wassup, fellas. New 2013 Dyna Street Bob owner here. Looking to put 16" chrome ape hangers on with internal wiring. Want a good product without breaking the bank. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 AM
CB024
Road Master

Originally Posted by Debo001
Wassup, fellas. New 2013 Dyna Street Bob owner here. Looking to put 16" chrome ape hangers on with internal wiring. Want a good product without breaking the bank. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
What do you consider breaking the bank? Ape hangers aren't cheap after you buy all the parts needed to install them. How much are you looking to spend total?

Old 02-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Debo001
6th Gear

Man, Harley stuff is a whole new language for me. I'm about as green as can be. I went to the local Harley dealership and they gave me an estimate o $1500-$1600 total for parts and labor. I thought that was a little steep. Am I right or wrong?

I want to get it done eventually, but, of course, I'd like to get the best possible deal. Any recommendations would be great.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Man, Harley stuff is a whole new language for me. I'm about as green as can be. I went to the local Harley dealership and they gave me an estimate o $1500-$1600 total for parts and labor. I thought that was a little steep. Am I right or wrong?

I want to get it done eventually, but, of course, I'd like to get the best possible deal. Any recommendations would be great.
You can do this for 400.00 or less in parts using quality components. Start here http://www.wild1inc.com/ You can install the bars yourself. They are not hard and you can get all the help you need here...

Last edited by Northbound Southerner; 02-17-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

Forgot to mention. That's not a little steep. It's Fing insane!

Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM
CB024
Road Master

That estimate is about right having a dealer do it. As mouth said you can do it yourself. For my swap cables and bars alone are going to cost me over $700. I had to buy new risers which I picked up for $60 & new mirrors (not needed but wanted a lower profile mirror) for $30. I still need poly bushings, wire extensions & grips. I'll be close to $1000 buy the time I'm all done.

The odds and ends add up quick. Maybe someone who has done a low budget swap can chime in. I personally cant see it being done for less than $450 using all new parts. Maybe shopping used you could.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Debo001
6th Gear

Thanks fellas. Yeah, I'm new to all this stuff. Maybe someday I'll have the confidence work on my own bike (and maybe others), but for now, I'm just gonna have to find someone else do the work for me. Thanks again!

Old 02-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by CB024
That estimate is about right having a dealer do it. As mouth said you can do it yourself. For my swap cables and bars alone are going to cost me over $700. I had to buy new risers which I picked up for $60 & new mirrors (not needed but wanted a lower profile mirror) for $30. I still need poly bushings, wire extensions & grips. I'll be close to $1000 buy the time I'm all done.

The odds and ends add up quick. Maybe someone who has done a low budget swap can chime in. I personally cant see it being done for less than $450 using all new parts. Maybe shopping used you could.
Here is what I did on my Road king. Should be the same on my WG when I figure out what I'm gonna do...

Wild One Chubbys 190.00 shipped
Magnum cables 200.00 shipped
50.00 for bushings
Don't pay for wire extensions...Cut and solder in the middle. Stagger your connections so they are not bunched. This will save you a lot of headaches if one of those POS extensions break while pulling the wires...

So the total is about 440.00 plus the inevitable odds and ends. I would do the labor for a 12 pack if you were closer...Beer is delicious....

Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Thanks fellas. Yeah, I'm new to all this stuff. Maybe someday I'll have the confidence work on my own bike (and maybe others), but for now, I'm just gonna have to find someone else do the work for me. Thanks again!
May want to post where you live in California. Might be someone on the forum that can help you out, or tell you if you have a good independant (Indy) close by.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 PM
AussieTX
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm pretty useless at doing any work to do with wiring, I had a friend help me with mine.
I went with Burley 14in, with the wires it ran me about $400.
Stay away from the dealership for labor if you can.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommendations for 16" chrome ape hangers