Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel size question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:28 AM
joshpg3412
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel size question

I tried searching for some info on this but came up dry:

I'm trying to ditch the stock laced wheels on my Street Bob and have been looking for used cast wheels on eBay. I've found a lot of 16" rear wheels off of old Dynas. Already knowing that the bearings need to be swapped, would a switch from the stock 17" rear to a 16" mess with the geometry of the bike? Could the difference in wheel size be compensated for with a tire? Is this any other reason anyone knows as to why this would or wouldn't work? What kind of spacers would I need?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

Old 02-17-2013, 11:52 AM
EastBay_Solo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joshpg3412
I tried searching for some info on this but came up dry:

I'm trying to ditch the stock laced wheels on my Street Bob and have been looking for used cast wheels on eBay. I've found a lot of 16" rear wheels off of old Dynas. Already knowing that the bearings need to be swapped, would a switch from the stock 17" rear to a 16" mess with the geometry of the bike? Could the difference in wheel size be compensated for with a tire? Is this any other reason anyone knows as to why this would or wouldn't work? What kind of spacers would I need?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

Josh do a search 07Bobber has done this mod and has a great write up on switching from 07+ wheels to 05 wheels which is 19F 16R. I went from spoke to cast on my 06 SB using 06 SG cast wheels. No bearing swap needed as they share the same bearing due to the year. 06-07 1inch bearing 08+25mm bearing. You can swap an 08 cast wheel on as well but you will need a custom bearing and spacer to do this swap. I too have done this mod. In my experience its way easier to just purchase the cast wheels off a bike of the same year. much more cost effective and no custom **** needed to get it work. Theres tons of threads on this subject do a search. I got my wheels of ebay for just around 200 for the set. But i bought them separate, one at time. Just do general search with out putting the bike model info in and you will get more results that way. Match up the year and your good to go . Or get ready to purchase custom bearing and have costume spacers made. Hope that helps good luck.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by EastBay_Solo
Josh do a search 07Bobber has done this mod and has a great write up on switching from 07+ wheels to 05 wheels which is 19F 16R. I went from spoke to cast on my 06 SB using 06 SG cast wheels. No bearing swap needed as they share the same bearing due to the year. 06-07 1inch bearing 08+25mm bearing. You can swap an 08 cast wheel on as well but you will need a custom bearing and spacer to do this swap. I too have done this mod. In my experience its way easier to just purchase the cast wheels off a bike of the same year. much more cost effective and no custom **** needed to get it work. Theres tons of threads on this subject do a search. I got my wheels of ebay for just around 200 for the set. But i bought them separate, one at time. Just do general search with out putting the bike model info in and you will get more results that way. Match up the year and your good to go . Or get ready to purchase custom bearing and have costume spacers made. Hope that helps good luck.

Exactly! What he said!