Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to do some work on the ride, input appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 08:09 PM
AussieTX
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Time to do some work on the ride, input appreciated

Hey everyone, I recently retired from the military so it's time to give my bike some much needed attention.
I have a 2011 FXDB, so the first thing to do is get rid of the limp dick tail light. I'm currently looking for somewhere to get the fender holes fixed (I considered just getting a 2013 street bob rear fender, but the stealership weanted $650 for one in denim black). Currently I am leaning towards getting the dynamic custom truflex as a tail light.
I'm going to relocate my front turn signals.
I also need to upgrade my suspension, both front and rear shocks.
This is where I need some input. I suffered a pretty severe back injury so riding long distances is pretty rough on me, especially when I go over an unexpected bump. I've been told to look at Ohlins, Works, Ricors, Progressive.
But I'm not really too sure what I'm looking at when it comes to them, I obviously need good suspension to help with my back on long rides. So I was wondering if anyone could give their input as to what has worked for them.
I'm also thinking about boring out to a 107 in the near future

So I pretty much know what my plans are for the tail light, front turn signals, and the eventual 107. What i'm really stuck on is the suspension, any input would be greatly appreciated.

This is how the ride looks right now.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieTX
Hey everyone, I recently retired from the military so it's time to give my bike some much needed attention.
I have a 2011 FXDB, so the first thing to do is get rid of the limp dick tail light. I'm currently looking for somewhere to get the fender holes fixed (I considered just getting a 2013 street bob rear fender, but the stealership weanted $650 for one in denim black). Currently I am leaning towards getting the dynamic custom truflex as a tail light.
I'm going to relocate my front turn signals.
I also need to upgrade my suspension, both front and rear shocks.
This is where I need some input. I suffered a pretty severe back injury so riding long distances is pretty rough on me, especially when I go over an unexpected bump. I've been told to look at Ohlins, Works, Ricors, Progressive.
But I'm not really too sure what I'm looking at when it comes to them, I obviously need good suspension to help with my back on long rides. So I was wondering if anyone could give their input as to what has worked for them.
I'm also thinking about boring out to a 107 in the near future

So I pretty much know what my plans are for the tail light, front turn signals, and the eventual 107. What i'm really stuck on is the suspension, any input would be greatly appreciated.

This is how the ride looks right now.
What you need is a backrest. The rest will help but I would be lost without mine on long trips...

Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM
'10 Wide Glide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same tail light on my bike I'm having a lay down plate installed it will cover the hole for now till I figure out what I want to do with the rear fender

Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Great bike. Looks really good.

If money is not an object; http://legendsuspensions.com/

Budget wise; http://bitchinbaggers.com/

Both have Dyna options for the rear.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 PM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my fender filled in

Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 PM
AussieTX
Tourer

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
What you need is a backrest. The rest will help but I would be lost without mine on long trips...
I had considered one, unfortunately my back is messed up towards the top of it so a back rest wouldn't do much for that.
The real issue is when I go over a bump that it just shoots pain up in my upper discs of my back and neck.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 PM
AussieTX
Tourer

Originally Posted by '10 Wide Glide
I have the same tail light on my bike I'm having a lay down plate installed it will cover the hole for now till I figure out what I want to do with the rear fender
Are you happy with that tail light?

Originally Posted by SLV
Great bike. Looks really good.

If money is not an object; http://legendsuspensions.com/

Budget wise; http://bitchinbaggers.com/

Both have Dyna options for the rear.
Thanks, I'll check those out in a few mins.

Originally Posted by rs87277
I had my fender filled in
How much did it cost? If you don't mind me asking.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:48 PM
'10 Wide Glide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell no it's the one thing that I can't stand on it

Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 PM
AussieTX
Tourer

Originally Posted by '10 Wide Glide
Hell no it's the one thing that I can't stand on it
Ah, now that I look at your sig I see. I thought you meant you had the same tail light that I had mentioned I wanted to get (the truflex)

Old 02-17-2013, 09:10 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 972 Likes on 735 Posts

With the stock suspension on my 07 I could be riding on the highway and even at legal or close to legal speeds it felt like every expansion joint was trying to launch me out of the seat. Can't imagine how that would be with a bad back. I solved the problem with a set of Ohlins that are about a half inch longer than stock and a Mustang seat.
Those bumps are no longer a problem and I have a much better control of the bike.
I would think this should be your priority because if you're not comfortable on the bike the tail light won't be good for anything except looking at it in the garage.

Quick Reply: Time to do some work on the ride, input appreciated