Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welp, looks like I need an engine rebuild

Old 02-18-2013, 11:54 AM
WTFMike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welp, looks like I need an engine rebuild

I bought my 02 dyna on Feb 8th. The bike has 30kmiles. The third time I went to ride it I noticed a noise. I definitely didn't hear it when I looked at the bike a week before I purchased it and test rode, nor did I hear it when I bought it and rode it home, I also didn't hear it when I started it up for my neighbor to hear it, a two days after buying it.

Anyways, I started it, let it warm up and rode it for around a few blocks. Now, whenever I rev it up, as motor is slowing back down I can hear metallic rattle/whirring. At first, it didn't make it when I rev it up only as it is slowing down. Now, it is starting to make the noise as I rev it. It definitely sounds like it is a decelerating circular sound. I realize that nobody can diagnose a sound from a description online. I made a video, but, over the exhaust and with my crappy cell phone I couldn't hear the noise in the video.

I pulled the cam cover off and the cam chain tensioners looked good, they had very little wear on them. So, I then pulled off the primary cover and the compensator was tight. Nothing wiggled, i couldn't shaked anything etc. So I guess my next move is to pull the heads and cylinders off and see if there is any play in the rods. My question is if the crank bearings were worn would I be able to tell? Would the compensator wobble? I am starting to think it sounds like it could be rod bearings, and I would almost swear I can hear the noise coming out of my rear exhaust pipe. Is there anything else I should check? I'm just ticked that it looks like I will need to rebuild the engine and I have only ridden the bike 3 times. I wish I had the cash to do I big build, but, I will probably just build it back to stock to save some cash.

Last edited by WTFMike; 02-18-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:04 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm afraid but that is the way it happens sometimes. I got a 06 Super glide, only 11,000 miles almost like new. Bought it to do a build. After tearing it down we fond the dreaded valve seals were gone. The piston had oil on top.
You could probably get a 95 inch for not much more and do cams later.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I'd be very surprised if it needed a rebuild. No much chance with such low mileage...Get it to an indy for a diagnosis...

Old 02-18-2013, 12:28 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
I'd be very surprised if it needed a rebuild. No much chance with such low mileage...Get it to an indy for a diagnosis...
Does it sound like a sewing machine ...? If so, it is just the normal sound ...

If you've checked the cam tensioner shoes and they look okay, I am at a loss as to what could be the issue ...

Not quite sure what you mean by "the compensator" was tight ... I don't recall the type of primary chain tensioner the '05 has ... the compensator is a method of allowing for some 'give' between the motor and trans on start up or hard shifting, etc. ... a means of adding a little spring load ...

As I recall, one of the primary chain tensioners can over tension the primary chain which will cause excessive wear on the motor's crank bearing and the transmission main shaft ...

As suggested above, I think it would make sense to get a 'second opinion' ... I am a little dubious that a stock motor would crater at 30,000 miles ... or even a built motor ...

Good luck and post up your diagnosis and 'cure' ...

R/
'Chop

Old 02-18-2013, 12:35 PM
WTFMike
Intermediate

I just meant that the compensator nut wasn't loose. I listened to a few videos of bikes with knocking sounds and that was an issues with a few of them. The primary chain didn't seem overly tight, but I will check again. It definitely is not a normal noise. It is more of a knocking sound. The noise almost sounds like it is coming from the transmission area. If the transmission main shaft bearing was worn would it make a noise when I rev it in my driveway?

Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The '02 still had the Timken lefty bearing....highly doubt a crank bearing is your issue.
Inner cam bearings possibly?

Old 02-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Good_Apollo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get an engine stethoscope, they work a bit better than a screwdriver to your ear. I picked one up at Advance Auto for $12 and it has a long stem, I can touch it to any part of the engine and hear the inside.

This will help you track down where the noise is coming from.

Looks like they are only $10 now:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...rm=stethoscope

Old 02-18-2013, 03:00 PM
WTFMike
Intermediate

I do need to pick up a stethoscope, I have just been using a screwdriver. I am just at a lose. I know it isn't the cam chain tensioner or a loose compensator nut. I didn't pull the cam plate so maybe the inner cam bearings are bad, do those typically wear?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

On a 2002 it extremely unlikely anything with the bottom end will need work. Without hearing it I can't say anything for sure.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 248 Posts

Did you check the inner tensioner? These wear faster than the outer one and can't be checked unless you pull the cam block.

Early TC's can be noisy as the chain makes a whirring sound but in this case I would pull the cam block and check the cams (up to '03 they can wear out real fast, like 30K miles in some cases), the tensioners and the inner bearings.

Upgrade the inner bearings while you are in there and also check the outer bearings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Welp, looks like I need an engine rebuild