Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fxr compared to dyna

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM
adam_hffh
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fxr compared to dyna

so i know the fxr swingarm connects to the frame and not the transmission which is why the fxr is considered better than the dyna (and i completely agree seeing as i own one of each), but how can i modify the dyna to make it closer to the fxr in the same way ? i mean do i have to change the motor mounts or add a true trak stabilizer ? or even glide pro stabilizing systems is coming out with a dyna set up in a month or 2. thoughts on how to make the dyna handle better and more stable would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 PM
adam_hffh
Advanced

really ? nobody can help me out on this?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 PM
01FXDX
Advanced

I have no stabilizers at all and I think my bike feels good. But I'm looking for an fxr so I know that's all going to change.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:18 PM
bobber33!
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think some of the fxr guys are out riding is why

Me personally, I have a 90' fxr and an 06'dyna. Before I first started upgrading both I found the Dyna to be quite twitchy in the turns and always felt like the front and rear of the bike was telling me two different things. Having a road racer background I hate this feeling. After swapping out the front end with RaceTech Springs and Ricor Intiminators and the rear with RaceTech's reservoir setup, things improved a lot. The front and rear where now providing the feedback I was looking for. The only thing I couldn't get a hand on was how the rear seems to feel disconnected from the rest of the bike when running deep into sweepers and really sticking it hard, otherwise it rode almost perfect and handled great. This is where the FXR has always shined for me, I can lean into it harder and harder without a single complaint and I can always feel that rear. The Dyna hates this and also hates any kind of mid corner corrections. Things didn't really seem to improve here until I installed a steering stabilizer and a True-Trac system. At this point it's pretty much on par with the FXR if not almost better depending on how you like to ride. Personally the stabilizer and True-trac really wasn't needed. The real key is setting up the suspension (sag + rebound, etc). But I really like to push hard in the corners so correcting that very slight disconnect feeling was a must for me (better tires also helped a lot with this btw). All in all, its kind of pointless to have both like I do. Unless of course the sound of a carbed EVO big twin, with raw unadulterated rumbling drag pipes making beautiful music, get's your blood rushing like it does for me

So my equation for a Dyna to equal an FXR with a tricked out suspension is: Front RaceTech Springs+ Ricor Intiminators+Rear RaceTech Reservoir Shocks+Sticky Metzlers+Steering Stabilizer+True-Trac = a modern tricked out FXR
I would do them in that order too, because I found the Stabilizer and True-trac really uneccesary unless you really really like to push the bike hard like I do

Old 02-19-2013, 03:28 PM
adam_hffh
Advanced

i almost always push the bike, its just how i ride. (not trying to sound good or anything). but after riding my dyna, a buddies dyna, and me and a friends fxr's i think the stabilizer is what i need. i was just wondering if i should upgrade my mounts on my dyna since it can use the extra help in that area seeing as how the swingarm is connected to the transmission... anyways thanx for the help bobber33! and 01fxdx im sure ur bike does feel good (my dyna feels "good" also) but im looking for great lol

Old 02-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Poser since73
Advanced

I did up grade to different motor mount and Ohlin shocks on my FXR that i use to ride 20years ago. Probably a lots of different modifications available now days.
Loved that bike!
But now i got old and fat so I ride a different rubber mounted bike with saddle bags

Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM
adam_hffh
Advanced

ive seen alot of kits out there for the fxr's but i want to know what motor mounts i should do to the dyna to make it better

Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Putting longer FXDX (13.5") shocks on my '03 made the handling a lot better. I had looked at putting 15.5" VROD shocks on mine. The feedback I got was that the rake would be to steep. I was looking for urethane motor mounts for my mine, no luck.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 PM
adam_hffh
Advanced

ok cool. im going to go with 13 inch jri shocks but ill see if they make polly urethane mounts for my year 2012

Old 02-20-2013, 06:11 PM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bobber33!
I think some of the fxr guys are out riding is why

Me personally, I have a 90' fxr and an 06'dyna. Before I first started upgrading both I found the Dyna to be quite twitchy in the turns and always felt like the front and rear of the bike was telling me two different things. Having a road racer background I hate this feeling. After swapping out the front end with RaceTech Springs and Ricor Intiminators and the rear with RaceTech's reservoir setup, things improved a lot. The front and rear where now providing the feedback I was looking for. The only thing I couldn't get a hand on was how the rear seems to feel disconnected from the rest of the bike when running deep into sweepers and really sticking it hard, otherwise it rode almost perfect and handled great. This is where the FXR has always shined for me, I can lean into it harder and harder without a single complaint and I can always feel that rear. The Dyna hates this and also hates any kind of mid corner corrections. Things didn't really seem to improve here until I installed a steering stabilizer and a True-Trac system. At this point it's pretty much on par with the FXR if not almost better depending on how you like to ride. Personally the stabilizer and True-trac really wasn't needed. The real key is setting up the suspension (sag + rebound, etc). But I really like to push hard in the corners so correcting that very slight disconnect feeling was a must for me (better tires also helped a lot with this btw). All in all, its kind of pointless to have both like I do. Unless of course the sound of a carbed EVO big twin, with raw unadulterated rumbling drag pipes making beautiful music, get's your blood rushing like it does for me

So my equation for a Dyna to equal an FXR with a tricked out suspension is: Front RaceTech Springs+ Ricor Intiminators+Rear RaceTech Reservoir Shocks+Sticky Metzlers+Steering Stabilizer+True-Trac = a modern tricked out FXR
I would do them in that order too, because I found the Stabilizer and True-trac really uneccesary unless you really really like to push the bike hard like I do
I've seen this question a million and one times and this is by far the best description I have ever seen. I don't think I could explain any part of it better, except that I hate metzelers with a passion, well 880s anyway. Also can't agree that I love the EVO drag pipe/antique tractor without a muffler sound, unless its got serious motor of course.
The fxr isn't 50 lbs lighter like many people claim. 10, maybe 20 tops depending on the bike. The rake is better on the dyna. Do we even have to talk about the powertrain? Don't get me wrong, the fxr is a great bike, but not quite all its cracked up to be. Unless the fxr has a twin cam swapped into it I'll take the dyna. Maybe pointless, but I'd love to own and build my version of each.

Last edited by vdop; 02-20-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: fxr compared to dyna