Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

composite brake rotors - Matrix brakes VS Lyndall ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:34 PM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default composite brake rotors - Matrix brakes VS Lyndall ?

I will be upgrading my front and rear rotors to composite with Lyndal gold pads and just wondering if anyone had any experience with Matrix Brakes composite rotors??

http://www.matrixbrakes.com/category/1.aspx

They are over $100 cheaper than the Lyndall, just wondering if they are as good?

Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 AM
ged533
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have matrix composite rotors very light,great stopping power.purchaced 3 rotors with pads for 920.00.very happy with the upgrade

Attached Thumbnails composite brake rotors -  Matrix brakes VS Lyndall ?-014.jpg  
Old 02-19-2013, 07:09 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ged533
have matrix composite rotors very light,great stopping power.purchaced 3 rotors with pads for 920.00.very happy with the upgrade
What's the story behind that swingarm? Is the stock one insufficient for some reason?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:32 AM
ged533
Cruiser

less unsprung weight for better handling

Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

This is my first introduction to the Matrix rotors. I am going to have to look into them and get more info. They attach together differently than the Lyndalls as they are a 10 button style as opposed to the Lyndall Cog style attachment. Does this affect anything? I have no idea.

I'll give them a ring and get the scoop in a bit when I am actually awake.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Subscribed.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

I had triple Lyndall's on my FXDXT; they were excellent brakes...but I'm not so sure I like the new "lug drive" style...the buttons are more traditional looking to me (Imagine a Harley rider concerned about traditional looks,eh?) What I wonder is HOW the Matrix rotors are "cheaper". Need three for my Fat Bob (and another aluminum swingarm)

Old 02-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

It seems as if the Matrix only come in two designs which i am sure is part of teh price difference. If you go through their site it shows that they are the supplier for Lyndall which means that they make the outer bands but i am sure Lyndall's costs are much higher for their carriers as they make numerous different styles for varying brands of wheels. Regardless the red spoke style would look killer on my softail.

I'm still not awake enough to actually call anyone yet. More caffeine is needed at 6:11am in a quiet shop.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:05 AM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
This is my first introduction to the Matrix rotors. I am going to have to look into them and get more info. They attach together differently than the Lyndalls as they are a 10 button style as opposed to the Lyndall Cog style attachment. Does this affect anything? I have no idea.

I'll give them a ring and get the scoop in a bit when I am actually awake.
I think I read through the entire Matrix website. The only reference to Lyndall Brakes I could find was the following:
Paul Kittral of Lyndall Racing Brakes working out of Santa Ana, California took our products to the greasy streets of El Paso on the windiest day of the year. Real world testing on crappy roads in dusty conditions, where the proof of the performance claims would be in the stopping. Doing six runs at 30 mph and seven or eight at 50 mph for each set up, stock versus metal matrix composite with Lyndall Racing measuring all the stopping distances. .
It sure makes it sound like Matrix supplies Lyndall with their MMC friction rings. I'd love to know because the difference in cost is significant. Two front rotors with carriers and new gold pads from Lyndall on my doorstep is $1,213.27 the same from Matrix $757.90. That is $455.37 less expensive.
I'm ready to pull the trigger on these. I'm on my third set of HD solid rotors and i'm starting to feeling that tell tail pulsing again telling me that my rotors are warped.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:11 AM
phoenix76rb
Novice

Originally Posted by BB59
I think I read through the entire Matrix website. The only reference to Lyndall Brakes I could find was the following:

It sure makes it sound like Matrix supplies Lyndall with their MMC friction rings. I'd love to know because the difference in cost is significant. Two front rotors with carriers and new gold pads from Lyndall on my doorstep is $1,213.27 the same from Matrix $757.90. That is $455.37 less expensive.
I'm ready to pull the trigger on these. I'm on my third set of HD solid rotors and i'm starting to feeling that tell tail pulsing again telling me that my rotors are warped.
In the "For what it's worth department":

I have full floating Brembo rotors with stock H-D pads on both my 2006 Street Glide and my 2000 FXDX. I bought the Brembos from Kosman Specialties, but any Brembo dealer should be able to get them.

I have a friend with the Lyndall rotors on his Ultra Classic, and we both prefer the Brembos after riding the bikes back-to-back; if it means anything, we are both retired road racers who had warped many sets of stock and Screamin' Eagle rotors before finding out that Brembo made a true full-floating bolt-on solution. I believe my buddy switched to the Brembos about this time last year.

My 2006 FLHXI has had these installed for 51,000 trouble-free, hard-braking miles.

The only complaint I have is that you can hear the rotors rattling against the carriers at idle, at a stop, if you don't clamp down on the front brake lever. (Some would say that my pipes are too quiet!)

Here's a tiny url link to the Brembo tech sheet on the rotors for anyone interested:

http://*******.com/brembo-rotor-HD

(Are tiny url links prohibited in forum messages?)

Tim

Last edited by phoenix76rb; 03-06-2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: testing

Quick Reply: composite brake rotors - Matrix brakes VS Lyndall ?