Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lighter forged wheels for FXDF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Lighter forged wheels for FXDF?

I don't see anything in stock sized forged wheels for the Fat Bob; I really like the RSD Morris Black Ops wheels but a front is not available in 16" and I want to keep the rolling donut look but ditch the heavy cast wheels; spooked rims are a lightweight option but I'd like to remain reliably tubeless; anyone with an FXDF find forged (lighter) stock size wheels???

Old 02-19-2013, 09:21 AM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check these guys out. Southern Motorcyle Works. The have nice wheels in stock sizes for good prices. I'll be getting a wheel package from them soon.
http://www.southern-mc.com/blpowhset.html
Sorry I linked straight to the wheels I was looking at but Im sure you can navigate their web site.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Not forged, but machined aluminum from Southern Motorcycle Works. Elite Black Octane...Stock sizes is what I went with...I know there are those that don't like the smaller diameter wheels because the brake disc blocks viewing, but I LIKE it!

Good service and quick delivery!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
Not forged, but machined aluminum from Southern Motorcycle Works. Elite Black Octane...Stock sizes is what I went with...I know there are those that don't like the smaller diameter wheels because the brake disc blocks viewing, but I LIKE it!

Good service and quick delivery!

those wheels are spendy,,,,,, they look great though.... the new Harley rotor is pretty cut away and shows a lot more wheel, they would really look good on your set up....

Old 02-19-2013, 11:26 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Those wheels are badass Eric. The bike looks great.

Sharkey;
As wire wheels go, check out American Wire

Their 16" rims are tubeless and they claim the wheels never need to be re-trued. A buddy bought some of their clearance wheels for an older WG and they look reaaly good.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:21 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
I don't see anything in stock sized forged wheels for the Fat Bob; I really like the RSD Morris Black Ops wheels but a front is not available in 16" and I want to keep the rolling donut look but ditch the heavy cast wheels; spooked rims are a lightweight option but I'd like to remain reliably tubeless; anyone with an FXDF find forged (lighter) stock size wheels???
My Ride Wright wheels 21x3.5 and 18x5.5 and 40spoke are tubeless. Had them on since Feb 2011 and already been through 1 rear tire, no issues with air loss. Pic in sig.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Well; a few options out there...I e-mailed RSD and asked them directly if they intend on offering stock size wheels for the FXDF; see what kind of answer I get...

I've done the Buchannan rims and spokes before and they held up well on my last bike...really would like to go with lightweight mags this time, though...

Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you sure that RSD wheel cannot be made in a 16 front and rear? I find that very hard to believe. I have a contact at PM that can help with this if you like. We ahve a wheel called the Daytona that is very similar as well. I can get it black powdercoated.
http://hogpro.com/imagebox.php?name=pic/part-pic307.jpg

The Indy is a nice 6 spoke wheel as well.
http://hogpro.com/imagebox.php?name=pic/part-pic566.jpg

Check out all of our black options http://hogpro.com/showsubcat2.php?catid=1&subcatid=77 and I can get Renegade, RSD, PM, Colorado Customs, and RC Components all at discounted forum pricing as well.

I almost forgot, aftermarket forged wheels weigh very close to the same as the stock cast wheels.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

I really like the vintage connection with the Morris wheels; I remember when HD used them...
I also prefer more subdued styling. Those wheels gotta weigh less than the big solid cast rims on the FXDF...I would be interested in the RSD Morris wheels if I could get them in 16"

Old 02-20-2013, 07:18 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

RSD has replied that their wheels can be had in stock replacement sizes; the donuts stay on the 'Bob...thanks for the responses and thanks to Russell Mitchell and HD for the FXDF...

Quick Reply: Lighter forged wheels for FXDF?