Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 PM
dirtfarmer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Handlebar Questions

I'm thinking about switching to drag bars but was wondering how comfortable they are. I ride about 70 miles round trip a day to work. Also, when I bought my bike (02 W/G), the previous owner changed the risers to a pullback style. My question is, will the turn signals hit the tank and how do I go about figuring out the amount of pullback and or rise of the bars? Thanks for all the previous help and I'm sure all of it in the future as well.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 PM
machm1969
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted lower bars on my '07 WG, but drag bars didn't look comfortable. I went with Street Slammers, lower, but very comfortable.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,515 Likes on 804 Posts

It depends on how long your arms are. Do you have problems with the sleeves on your shirts being too short? I've got long arms, so I've ridden with drag bars since the '80's. I've ridden to Sturgis, 800 miles, in a day with drag bars on six inch risers. And no, the signals won't hit the tank with the six inch risers. I recently went with 12" straight riser T-bars because I'm in my 50's now and wanted to sit upright a little more.

One other thing, make sure your jacket sleeves are long enough because the sleeves will ride up on your arms a little more.

Good Luck

Crazy

Old 02-20-2013, 01:43 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Are your bars comfortable now?

Old 02-20-2013, 06:46 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

are you a Arnold Schwarzenegger or Danny Devito?

Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 AM
xantasm
Supporter

Bars pullback varies for each bar and how much pullback the risers add. Like any bars risers are going to affect the pullback altering them in relation to where your grip so your question needs more information if you want a more specific answer. Especially considered there are several versions of bars in the drag bar style line.

My bike has 6" LA Chopper pullback riser and Flanders 35 degree drag bar from sideroadcycles.com . I ride with my arms bent at the elbows relaxed but still straight out enough I can rest my wrists over the controls on long rides for a flat arm ride. After you look at sideroad for their method of bar measurement try using that and getting a buddy to help measure while your sitting with the bike straight up with the wheel pointed forward as if your riding down the road like you normal but with your arms where you feel would be most comfortable or where you want them. Either hold a piece of string between each hand or use the imaginary line method and have him make measurements based off of that. Then look at their selection of bars and decide which style has those dimensions or close.

They even got a how to measure section www.sideroadcycles.com

Mine is like someone stuck a lazyboy on an old hot rod at this point.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:06 AM
CADguy
Road Captain

I'm running Street Slammers and they are comfortable. I have ridden with them the last year and a half. But, I will be switching to Apes probably this spring.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Alleyn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ditched my apes for a pair of Santee drag bars last year. Have them bolted low, right off the triple. For me, it's much more comfortable, but I have longer arms as well.

Lost a bit of rear-view mirror, but the turn signals miss my tank by about an inch.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:41 AM
dirtfarmer
Cruiser

The bars on it now are pretty comfortable. Elbows bent slightly. I just don't like the height. I'm 5'10 and I guess my arms are about average. Is there a bar I've looked over that are like the factory bars but lower?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Ray Lloyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Hope this information helps:

I am 5' 10" with average length arms.

I added 6" straight risers, and 27" wide, fairly straight drag bars.

It is very comfortable for me. I did a 4,800 mile trip the year before last to the mountains and back, with a couple 600 mile+ days with no discomfort at all. The drag bars keep me sitting straight up in the saddle with no slouching of my lower back, which I think adds to the comfort level.

Here a few pics and a video to see the general ergonomics situation:

Last edited by Ray Lloyd; 02-20-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Handlebar Questions