Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed: Deuce Chrome Rear Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:07 PM
One Vision
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help needed: Deuce Chrome Rear Wheel

Hey gents, I have a bit of a story for you and I wonder if the combined knowledge of this esteemed body can help me figure this out.

I own a 2009 FXDC and one of the mods I've always wanted to do was to add a solid rear wheel. After doing some research I found out that low and behold the 2000 to 2007 rear Deuce wheel is a match for my bike:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

I got super lucky on my local Craigslist and found a guy who wanted to actually TRADE his solid rear for a spoked rear and our 2 wheels were a match. This solid rear that I traded for is from a 2006 Deuce, it is NOT chromed.

Here is where it gets muddy thanks to me.

I wanted to make it a CHROME rear so after a bit more research I found a very reputable and solid chrome exchange program. Now since the 2000 - 2007 Deuce rear solid is essentially the same part across the model years(isnt it?), the chrome exchange was within its agreements with me to send any model year 2000-2007 Deuce Rear Chromed and it should fit right?!?!

I recieved the beautiful chrome deuce rear earlier this week, brought it to my indie to install(Doing a few more winter mods) and got the call this morning that the axle on the wheel I provided is only set up for 3/4" and I need a 25mm.

Where is the disconnect here? Harley's site sais this wheel 2000-2007 fits my bike.

The chrome exchange has a solid return policy so I'm not concerned about return. What I really want to know is if I should skip the solid rear. I am ready to order it from Harley directly to just save all the convoluted steps, but now I'm concerned that I will run into the same issue with a new wheel from them.

Any of you have any similar experiences or suggestions? I DO know that a few of you have done this mod on thier bike. Maybe,(hopefully) the chromed version of the wheel I received was the wrong year.

Note the following: The Chrome exchange program is reputable and provided a great product, and the inide that I am using has 45+ years of experience(He knows what hes doing)

Thanks all

OV

Old 02-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you looked into replacing the bearings, harley sells a wheel bearing and spacer as a kit,

Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think softails used 3/4" axles until '07. Another problem is the 25MM bearings are narrower then the 3/4" ones. You could make it work if you got a 1" axle, spacers, and bearings, then bored the center axle hole to fit the 1" inner wheel spacer. I looked at the link you provided, maybe the P&A Deuce wheel has the larger diameter axle bore.

Last edited by DanDman; 02-22-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

If you click the tab that says "wheel installation kit chart" on the link you posted it looks like Harley makes a kit to make that wheel work.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ation_Kits.pdf

Old 02-22-2013, 08:52 PM
One Vision
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Reindeer
If you click the tab that says "wheel installation kit chart" on the link you posted it looks like Harley makes a kit to make that wheel work.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ation_Kits.pdf

That was the first direction I went with my indie and he said that he has that kit and it's somthing else that is causing issues. I will go pick it up tomorrow morning and get some more info. I really hope I can work this out somehow.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Willy723
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done this mod as well, but unfortunately I went the other direction where as I have 1" axle so like was stated before I just had to bore out the center of the wheel to allow the 1" axle to fit. I did however have an issue with the stock pulley, after getting it chromed as well,where the center pulley had to be honed out by hundredths to fit that lip on the wheel just due to the material added by the plating process.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 PM
One Vision
Cruiser

Seems as though a lot more needs to go into the mod than a simple swap out; yet the fact that the Harley websight advertizes this wheel as an option for a 2009 Dyna would lead one to believe it should be just that: a simple swap.(Long sentence)

Old 02-23-2013, 08:58 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

I looked at buying the chromed Duece wheel for my Low Rider last spring so I asked the service department at the local dealer. They told me the chromed version comes from moco already bored to fit 1" and 25mm axles, which the production duece wheels were not. So if you buy the chromed one from HD all you do is drop in whatever bearings and bearing spacer come in the kit for your application, and transfer over your pulley and rotor.

OP, I think you can take the one you have and get it bored out to fit the bearing spacer and you'll be good to go.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:21 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Couple points, if I may.

25mm bearings are 14mm wide....1" bearings are 21mm wide.

Using a hub made for the 1" bearings will require a 6mm shim so the 25mm bearings will sit flush.

Wheels with a 3/4 axle setup MAY require a machinist to carefully open the center of the wheel to allow the larger diameter spacer.

Since you have an '09, you will need it properly set up for 25mm bearings.

So, take the wheel to a professional machinist and take the 25mm spacer and tell him you need the wheel machined to fit the spacer. Additionally ask him to make some 6mm shims, so that the 25mm bearings will sit flush.

It may end up costing 75-100 bucks but it's easily doable.

~Joe

Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 AM
jcrumpley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I just did this on my 2009 fxdl

If you buy the wheel from harley that has the right spacer bore it is a bolt on deal. Also buy the wheel install kit. The install kit has a regular axle spacer and a flat spacer that goes in under the bearing on the rotor side. The whole deal was under $800 shipped from surdyke.

Quick Reply: Help needed: Deuce Chrome Rear Wheel