Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Glide fuel pump oring

Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 PM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Super Glide fuel pump oring

I just replaced my fuel pump assembly on my 06 SG today. After I got it all back together, I was looking at the old fuel pump and noticed a green oring inside the female fitting where the quick disconnect fuel line from inside the tank plugs in. The manual mentioned replacing the fuel line oring with a new one. I didn't see where an oring would go but now I know what it was talking about. Now I am concerned with whether the new pump had this oring in the female fitting or if I should have bought a new one or at least transferred the one from the old pump to the new. Does anyone know if that oring comes in the new fuel pump? I'm afraid I am going to have to disassemble it and check.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:21 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A quick update in case anyone in the future searches for this answer...

No, there is not an oring in the new fuel pump. It fits on the quick disconnect fitting but it will stay inside the fuel pump when you pull that line off to remove the pump. The new pump does not have an oring inside the female fitting so you have to transfer the old one (if it's in good shape) or buy a new one.

The sad part of the story is, my problem was not the fuel pump. I had checked voltage at the fuel pump connector and had 11.5v. I assumed that since voltage was getting to the pump that the switches were good, the fuel pump fuse was obviously good and the system relay was good...wrong answer. Got the new fuel pump installed and nothing! So, I snatched the system relay out and gave it a few sharp whacks on the workbench to loosen up the contacts, stuck it back it and there ya go...fuel pump works...$300 spent for nothing... I need a new $15 relay. Apparently it was making some contact because I was getting voltage at the pump. The contacts are probably corroded and when a load was put on it from the pump the voltage likely dropped to nothing.

Too late now. I have a new pump.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:33 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

that sucks man at least new got a new filter out of the deal and dont have to thinkabout that for a long time

Old 02-23-2013, 11:36 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

here was mine when i replaced it
surprised it ran as good as it did

Old 02-23-2013, 11:40 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Just for reference, if you do manage to damage the o-ring in the female QD connector (and it will happen eventually) its not listed separately in the parts manual. On the bright side, its the same one thats use on the oil drain plug.