Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why the dislike of the fuelpak

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 AM
rsmith
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why the dislike of the fuelpak

Why does it seem that so many talk bad about the v@h fuelpak just wondering.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Because it is not near as tunable as the other tuners on the market. I works OK but there are better products out there....

Old 02-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Fuelpak adds fuel only, and doesn't allow tuning to make timing adjustments.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:57 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I actually ran the Fuelpak for the 2010-2011 riding seasons. I originally purchased it the same time I bought my short shots. I was new to Harley and knew I needed some type of tuner and figured I would just buy the Fuelpak since it was made by the same company as the pipes.

Did it work? I'm guessing it did. My bike did not blow up. However, it always pinged when getting on it hard in 3rd gear. You just enter some numbers from a website and hope its right. No datalogging. No timing adjustments. No way to see what its doing.

I went with the Dynojet PowerVision at beginning of 2012 riding season and would not recommend anything less. It really is worth every penny above the Fuelpak's cost plus it is good whether you are Stage 1 or fully-built motor. The tuning possibilities are endless and you get unlimited support from FuelMoto (where I suggest you buy it from).

Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

The main reason I think it gets so much hate is because it only works on the bike when the throttle is in open loop, and does nothing in closed loop. That's why you'll see a lot of guys run xieds along with the fuel pak.

Another thing I think that doesn't help is the fact that they keep the cell values and settings secret. There's a reason their secrect, it's because the device is sh*t.

It's basically an overpriced device compared to the other more customizable options out there.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:04 AM
deuce_streetbob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the power commander v better than the fuel pack? I don't know that I would actively or constantly change values to justify the extra cost of the pv. Also, what's thiamin difference between the commander and the micro?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:38 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

There are better tuners that allow you to dial in the power of your bike for your riding stye and configuration.

FuelPaks are of the lower end of the food chain, but in "most" cases they work well with a basic configuration.
I am running one with SE255 cams, V&H pipes and AN air. Mine runs great, no popping or pinging. No backfiring either. I had a friendly race with a wide glide with a 103 and my 96 kicked but!
I am not looking to fine tune in the HP and torque at the moment, but for what it is worth it goes like Hell with this configuration and I am happy with it at the moment.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 AM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

My opinion from what I have read here and seen online other places is that most of the negative reviews come from owners of pre 2012 bikes using the older version. From what I gather only had about 19 or 20 parameters to tune. The 2012 and 2013 switched to a newer ecm and o2 sensors which required a new model Fuelpak that has about 50 or so parameters to tune. I also know Zippers had same problem with Thundermax adjusting to this change from my bagger friends. I have a new model Fuelpak. I may have same problems others claim to have. I may not . I'll give it a chance. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:04 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by deuce_streetbob
Is the power commander v better than the fuel pack? I don't know that I would actively or constantly change values to justify the extra cost of the pv. Also, what's thiamin difference between the commander and the micro?
You would actively/constantly change values or monitor your bike with real-time data logging if you could.

I keep my Power Vision mounted always and keep 2 separate screens with 12 of my favorite data points (you can choose to monitor virtually any data point in the ECM). I like to monitor Spark Knock and you can color code them too. For example, the Spark Knock values will turn RED if there is any spark knock over 0.5 degrees, and I can monitor both cylinders separately.

Sometimes I have turn to another screen because you would cringe too being able to see the head temps, while sitting in traffic. It gets up there!!!

The Fuel Pak, new or old, can not do this. If you really want to know how your Fuel Pak bike is really running, you would have to visit a dyno, not the butt dyno.

Last edited by jmeiers; 02-24-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:21 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

On my '08 electraglide I had a SE Heavy breather V&H Dresser duals and V&H slip-ons.
I used the V&H FuelPak and it worked just fine.
For a basic fuel management system I was very happy.
If you plan on anything more than the a/c and true duals, the Fuelpak won't work. If I hadn't sold the bike, I'd still be using it.

Quick Reply: why the dislike of the fuelpak