Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H slip-on's and reprogramming?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Alamor
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H slip-on's and reprogramming?

Hello All,

I have read all over this forum and the internet about installing slip on's and not having to reprogram my bike. I installed 3" V&H's slip on's and the bike seems to run great. Everything I can read and understand says NO PROGRAMMING is required. But my buddy was at the local Harley dealer this week and he told me the service manger says that I need to reprogram or a valve or something can burn out?? I did not go any smaller or bigger on the size of muffler I am using so I am confused on whether or not I need to take any action??

I would appreciate any input on this matter.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:25 AM
deuceriderusa
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I installed SE slipons, I had no issues whatsoever. Never did a remap. IMHO if it's running ok, don't bother with a remap.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Alamor
Novice

Originally Posted by deuceriderusa
When I installed SE slipons, I had no issues whatsoever. Never did a remap. IMHO if it's running ok, don't bother with a remap.

The bike does seem to run great!! when I decel it has a little rumbling type "pop, pop, pop" Not the pop of a backfire but like an old muscle car hot rod sounds like with a great exaust on it. I do not hear anything out of the ordinary. But, when he said that something could eventually burn up I am very PARANOID!!! If anyone else could weigh in on this matter and make me feel better about not taking any action I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think of it like this...

You didn't do anything to let more air in, so your fuel / air mixture is basically the same. You relieved some backpressure so that has changed some things, but really not enough to affect the fuel / air mixture as it was probably too bottled up anyway.

When you let more air in with a high flow air cleaner, then you drastically change the A/F mixture and will need to tune it.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Alamor
Novice

Originally Posted by Mascman
Think of it like this...

You didn't do anything to let more air in, so your fuel / air mixture is basically the same. You relieved some backpressure so that has changed some things, but really not enough to affect the fuel / air mixture as it was probably too bottled up anyway.

When you let more air in with a high flow air cleaner, then you drastically change the A/F mixture and will need to tune it.

That makes sense to me. I guess I won't worry about it unless it starts running like crap. I would think if it's running good it is not creating any problems with the internal motor. But then again I am as mechanical as a toe nail!! Also, I would think if my air fuel mixture was off it would throw a code in the diag section??? I don't know if it would I am just guessing like any Toe nail-ish intelligent person would lol

Old 02-23-2013, 01:06 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Any slight changes made by installing the slip ons should be gradually compensated for by your ECM. It might start to run a little better with a few miles.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:33 PM
PistolPete83
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have vh slip ons and i didnt remap...bike sounds and runs great but wih a bit of decel pop

Old 02-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Alamor
That makes sense to me. I guess I won't worry about it unless it starts running like crap. I would think if it's running good it is not creating any problems with the internal motor. But then again I am as mechanical as a toe nail!! Also, I would think if my air fuel mixture was off it would throw a code in the diag section??? I don't know if it would I am just guessing like any Toe nail-ish intelligent person would lol
It won't throw a code and it would be possible for a good running bike to be doing damage at the same time like if it was running too lean, but you shouldn't have anything to worry about with your setup.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Helen Wheels
Extreme HDF Member
Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I just ordered some slip ons..I was told I need gaskets for them. but have not seen anywhere that they are needed..do I need them?

Old 02-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Helen Wheels
I just ordered some slip ons..I was told I need gaskets for them. but have not seen anywhere that they are needed..do I need them?
No...the only gaskets are at the headpipe.

Quick Reply: V&H slip-on's and reprogramming?