Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Streetbob 2" Tank lift!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Streetbob 2" Tank lift!

So I'm at the dealership today to see if there was anything else to spend my hard earned money on and I ask the parts guy how much a 2" tank lift kit would run me. He looks puzzled and replys he's never heard of any such thing. I'm like really??? Wtf! Then the other parts guy disappears behind the back counter and my clerk begins to thumb through various parts books with a not so bright look on his face. The next thing I know the other parts guy comes back out and slams a tank lift bracket and bolts down on the counter and says here ya go "on the house"!

Surprised as I was there it was a 2" tank lift for free. Then the not so bright guy chimes in with " we'll you'll need a longer fuel line and........I stopped him and said thanks but "if I need nothing ill let you know."

I took the part home , removed my seat, took the rear tank bolt off and then removed the two bolts from the forward portion of the tank. I had just enough slack and five minutes later I was done.

Lesson one s that free is good. I love free. Lesson two.....always get second opinions when someone try's telling you it's gonna need this or need that simply because they don't know wtf they're talking about in the first place. I Love how he acted like he'd never herd of it and then he's having an epiphany after being showed up by his co worker, telling me what ill need to install the part he claimed just minutes earlier didn't exist. Wow.

Here's a before and after set of pictures. It turned out nice I think.

Last edited by Joboo1966; 02-23-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master

Before....

Attached Thumbnails Streetbob 2" Tank lift!-image.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master

After......

Attached Thumbnails Streetbob 2" Tank lift!-image.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 04:31 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Looking good!

Yeah, there's very few true parts guys working at dealerships anymore.

We have quite a few dealerships that buy tank lifts from us....but many don't have a clue.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Haha, what a great story. Congrats on a free part. A tank lift was one of the first things I did on mine and I love it! It opens it up so well, and gives it a nice muscular stance in my opinion. Had you gone anything taller than 2'' you would've needed longer lines, as I did with mine. Looks good brotha!

Old 02-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dynam1te
Haha, what a great story. Congrats on a free part. A tank lift was one of the first things I did on mine and I love it! It opens it up so well, and gives it a nice muscular stance in my opinion. Had you gone anything taller than 2'' you would've needed longer lines, as I did with mine. Looks good brotha!
He'll yes free is good! I agree it opens it up ...looks like a different bike but so subtle you gotta look hard to see what was done. Funny how one parts guy knew exactly what I was talking about and the other not so much...ha..

Old 02-23-2013, 05:15 PM
chainbreaker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet! Bike is lookin' good! Funny story, I love mine. I also have a 2" lift on mine. Just had to lengthen the vent hose a little. Got it from DK Custom, and it came with everything I needed. Free is always awesome.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most dealership guys never heard of the tank lift because no vendors carry them. Chances are your parts guy that knew what you were talking about actually has a bike and is aware of industry trends. My advice, find a good parts guy and stick with him even if his stuff is occasionally higher in price. Free is good and dedication will get you more than an occasional freebee.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 PM
QC-RAIDERS-91
Road Captain

Hdforums I promise i'm going to be the best part guy ever haha (students jobs as a parts guys...life is good)

Old 02-23-2013, 08:26 PM
clownbaby
Intermediate

Great story bro. My favorite part was when you tried to make the parts guy look stupid for not knowing what a 2" tank lift was. Classic.

Quick Reply: Streetbob 2" Tank lift!