Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a Dyna?

Old 02-23-2013, 04:07 PM
armydawg11
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why a Dyna?

Hello, everyone! I've been a member now for a couple of weeks, and been steadily creeping around checking everything out. A little background on me, I've been riding for about 9 years now. I'm looking to make the transition from a sportbike rider to a cruiser rider.

A little bit of background. I worked in a Suzuki/Yamaha dealership for a few years, and had the opportunity to ride a lot of different makes of both sportbike and cruiser, but never a Harley. I did many, many track days and even wanted to get into road racing, but funds and time wouldn't allow it. Now I'm all done with school, I'm in the military, and want to get back into riding. I know that if I get back on a sportbike, I'll start getting into shenanigans again and get myself into trouble, or worse.

I've been researching Haleys now for a little over 18 months. I'm torn between a Road King and a Fat Bob (or maybe a Street Bob, not sure). I'd like to hear from others that ride a Dyna, or have ridden both, or even made the switch from a sportbike to a cruiser to get a feel for what would help me make the transition smooth.

I like to go for long rides as well as short jaunts on back roads. I like to carve corners and goose the throttle on occasion. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 02-23-2013, 04:10 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You want the dyna fat bob...ride both and you'll see

Old 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
You want the dyna fat bob...ride both and you'll see
I agree its going to fit the bill your looking for. Best of both worlds. Dynas are said to be the bet Harley's because they're easily the most customizable friendly bikes Harley makes. The fb handles well and can be very comfortable on long and short trips. Same power as the road king but lighter and more agile.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:37 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have had lots of HD's through the years and presently have 2 Dyna's and a SG.
I also suggest rent each to see for yourself after all it is you that has to be happy.
If you are single trips could be made on any easily. If married or your girlfriend rides you can still make trips with a few options. A tail bag-luggage rack mounting, and removable saddle bags or if you like the look of saddle bags attach a set.
The Dyna's bikes are light compared to the Road King. If you like to ride rather hard through the turns and like to play some then the Dyna could be your bike.
I really like the Dyna bikes a lot. My SG is a great touring bike, plenty of power very comfortable, great sound and handles wonderfully. But it is a touring bike, not a light weight bike.
Rent each and find out for yourself.
Thank you for your service
If you rent one for possible purchase you can save the rental fee.

dd

Old 02-23-2013, 05:01 PM
kmontague
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned a street bob,street glide, and now a fat bob. The street glide was a great bike. But it was a touring bike and i missed my dyna, so i sold it and bought the fat bob. Excellent bike, love the dyna line myself. You will.probably want to test ride both and see what makes you smile. If you go on a lot of long trips the touring bike is great. But coming from mobbing around on a sport bike. Not sure you will be happy with the rk. Fat bobs are badass imo. Good luck in your decision

Last edited by kmontague; 02-23-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Rfc
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man you sound like me a few months ago. Any Dyna will serve you well so choose the one you really like. I'll tell you even though I like my Fat Bob a Road King will be in the line up soon for my long distance cruiser.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Mike650
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by armydawg11
I like to go for long rides as well as short jaunts on back roads. I like to carve corners and goose the throttle on occasion.
that right there is why you want to get a dyna. very easy to set up for longer cruises while staying comfortable, but also great for back roads and hot rodding. sure a road king can do the same, but not like a dyna can. and being that your coming from sport bikes, a dyna will be a smooth transition.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:21 PM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like you need a dyna. You can do pretty much anything with a dyna. It's the lightest, most nimble big twin bike and the options are endless when you want to modify it. You can have a bike that's comfortable all day and be built to hang with sport bikes on the back roads. I've ridden plenty of sport bikes and I love my Buell but I have the most fun on my dyna.

As far as which dyna, a lot of people rave about the fatbob but I don't really understand. Personally not a fan. I don't like the forward controls, wide front end and heavy front wheel and tire. I'm not really a fan of any of them stock since they stopped making the fxdx. I've built my street bob into what I wanted.

My advice is ride them and decide which one you like. I'd get one with a 103. Sounds like you ride like me. Necessaries would be a stage 1, cams, good tune, 13" shocks and at least heavy fork oil. That would just be to tolerate riding it haha. I rode mine for a little while with the stock 12" shocks. Grinding the pegs, exhaust and primary off in the corners gets old.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:25 PM
kennygsuperglide
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Why make a transition? Ride both your sportbike and a Harley. I do.
You don't have to give up one to enjoy the other.

Attached Thumbnails Why a Dyna?-mom-527.jpg   Why a Dyna?-mom-498.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 05:27 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by armydawg11
Hello, everyone! I've been a member now for a couple of weeks, and been steadily creeping around checking everything out. A little background on me, I've been riding for about 9 years now. I'm looking to make the transition from a sportbike rider to a cruiser rider.

A little bit of background. I worked in a Suzuki/Yamaha dealership for a few years, and had the opportunity to ride a lot of different makes of both sportbike and cruiser, but never a Harley. I did many, many track days and even wanted to get into road racing, but funds and time wouldn't allow it. Now I'm all done with school, I'm in the military, and want to get back into riding. I know that if I get back on a sportbike, I'll start getting into shenanigans again and get myself into trouble, or worse.

I've been researching Haleys now for a little over 18 months. I'm torn between a Road King and a Fat Bob (or maybe a Street Bob, not sure). I'd like to hear from others that ride a Dyna, or have ridden both, or even made the switch from a sportbike to a cruiser to get a feel for what would help me make the transition smooth.

I like to go for long rides as well as short jaunts on back roads. I like to carve corners and goose the throttle on occasion. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
If you ride solo, a Deluxe is a good choice, if 2 up a Heritage is a good choice. The FL line (RK) are designed for long distance hwy riding/touring. They are heavier, hotter and more to handle. The FL's are usually chosen because riders "drink the kool aid" and ride them for what they are not intended to be used for, then complain of the heat, handling, etc. Buy a bike you like, can afford and one that fits what type of riding you plan on doing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why a Dyna?