Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil catch cans

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Blacksonne88
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil catch cans

I know there's a ton of threads about blowby and crank case filters but in all the ones I've looked at it can't seem to find a good looking functional setup. I'm a 1/3qt down I still get some blowby it's not a huge deal but if there were a good fix for ok $ I'd do it. Also I get oil down the clutch cable from the tranny all the way to the adjuster? Dealer said that's normal?? How can a leak be normal? It's got the nylon braided cover if I clean that good and dry it won't make a drip for quite some time. But it seems to be leeching into that nylon on every long ride. Anyways I know that's kind of two separate issues but I don't like making threads as it is. So I figured 2birds 1stone. Thanks guys.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

What year is your bike? if its a TC and you have blowby then you have some serious **** going down...or maybe you just need to replace the breather filters in the rocker box.

If its an Evo it still shouldn't be doing it unless its a crankcase breather model (early) in which case extending the breather out the back of the rear fender is a good cheap fix.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

As for the cable leak......check you don't have too much fluid first.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:39 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the dealer said its normal than how come the ones on his showroom floor dont leak

Old 02-24-2013, 02:41 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

something must be wrong with them ask him whats wrong with them they dont leak

Old 02-24-2013, 06:00 PM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I've never heard of a clutch cable leaking oil, unless you have a hydraulic clutch.
And if it's leaking, it's not normal.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

The moisture that seeps down the outside of the inner cable sheath and drips the occasional drop is rare, but not unheard of and no, it is not "warrantiable" and can only be fixed with a clutch cable replacement.

Twin Cam umbrella valves, ( in the heads,) are supposed to stop air cleaner drip. They only do an adequate job IMO. But there is no way in hell I'm running an air cooled / OIL cooled motor anything short of the full mark.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
What year is your bike? if its a TC and you have blowby then you have some serious **** going down...or maybe you just need to replace the breather filters in the rocker box.

If its an Evo it still shouldn't be doing it unless its a crankcase breather model (early) in which case extending the breather out the back of the rear fender is a good cheap fix.
All twin cams vent oil in to the intake...Some more than others...but all of them do it...the umbrellas valves are junk...

Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 AM
Jbco2
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by uscanuck
I've never heard of a clutch cable leaking oil, unless you have a hydraulic clutch.
And if it's leaking, it's not normal.
There's a little O ring on the threads of the clutch cable those can break or go bad. Check if the fluid level in the tranny is correct. Sometimes also they can leak where the threaded insert for the clutch cable meets the clutch cable outer cover....

Joe

Old 02-25-2013, 04:27 AM
Blacksonne88
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot guys, this forums quick! First my bike is a tc88 2006. Like "the mouth' said I've heard that tc's are known for blow by. And yes its the sheath that the clutch cables wrapped in that seems to get wet with oil. They say it usually will just get damp around the cover but isn't unheard of to go to the adjuster. I know it, I hate some of the answers I get from my dealer. But I can't find any good indy shops near me. My bike runs mint I get no oil dripping from my a/c so it's very little blowby. Nobody runs a crankcase filter or catch can system?

Quick Reply: Oil catch cans