Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines Quiet Baffles or DK Custom Thunder Torque Inserts

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 04:15 PM
blueridge
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vance and Hines Quiet Baffles or DK Custom Thunder Torque Inserts

Which of these would you buy if you were going to order the VH Big Shots? The VH Quiet Baffles quiet down the exhaust but does the Thunder Torque Inserts from DK Custom quiet down the exhaust or just increase low and mid range torque? Has anyone use these Thunder Torque from DK Customs?

Old 02-24-2013, 04:20 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, I think those inserts are just lollipop, you can make your own.
Here is a link.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust.htm

Old 02-24-2013, 04:25 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The thunder torque will be louder then the stock V&H baffle. Even with the quiet baffles it's going to be louder then you are probably going to like(from your previous post) but you'll find out.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:44 PM
blueridge
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rooti,

For the VH Big Shots what comes with the exhaust? If the quiet baffles are a separate item does that mean there is another kind of baffle in the pipes? From your post I presume the VH come with stock baffles. You are saying if I took out the stock baffles and put in the quiet baffles then it will be louder than I want. So that means you are suggesting to stick with the stock baffles.

I am trying to understand why VH calls these Quiet baffles when you say its going to be louder?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:32 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

The V&H BSS (Big Shot Staggered) come with standard baffles. If you want a little quieter, then you can buy the quiet baffles which will be an additional cost. I had my dealer install the quiet baffles and it is a nice low pitched rumble, obviously louder than the stock Harley muffler but not excessively loud or obnoxious. I cannot compare the quiet baffle to the standard V&H baffle but if you do a search, there are some opinions out there. I doubt there is much difference performance wise. I had mine tuned on a dynojet (by a real pro) and am very happy with the performance

Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 PM
DoomGloom
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have VH staggered short shots on my St Bob. I swapped in the Quiet Baffles due to the annoying crackly sound of the stock baffles and the loss of low range /mid range power due to the short length of the pipes and the free flowing baffles. The end of the quiet baffle that is closest to the engine is closed, creating additional back pressure, which brings back most of the power loss in the lower RPM range. Additionally, the sound is deeper and there is none of the high end crackle that the stock baffles created....Sounds much better to my ears....Ive had the BCT QQ baffles and I like the performance and sound from the VH quiet baffles better...........That being said, VH short shots may be the worst performing pipes available...I bought a set of Reinhart Churchills to replace them.....

Old 02-24-2013, 11:09 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by 128auto
Correct me if I am wrong, I think those inserts are just lollipop, you can make your own.
Here is a link.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/exhaust.htm
The W version of the Thunder Torque Inserts are significantly different than lollipops.

Here's a vid of a guy that ran a few different lollipops before he tried the Thunder Torques.

The shape, texture and material make the difference you can hear and feel.

For the OP, the TTI's do not reduce the volume so much as make it a deeper tone, which to many sounds like less volume.

You can run the TTI's with or without baffles.

There are many threads on the forum of folks using these...below is one-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...e-inserts.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 02-25-2013, 04:25 AM
Sgt7212
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blueridge
Rooti,

For the VH Big Shots what comes with the exhaust? If the quiet baffles are a separate item does that mean there is another kind of baffle in the pipes? From your post I presume the VH come with stock baffles. You are saying if I took out the stock baffles and put in the quiet baffles then it will be louder than I want. So that means you are suggesting to stick with the stock baffles.

I am trying to understand why VH calls these Quiet baffles when you say its going to be louder?
I went with the "Quiet" baffles from V&H. From what I had read before I had my pipes done, and from what I had seen on YouTube, the quiet baffles only lower the sound by 2-3 decibels. To me that was not noticeable, but I didn't do it for that. What the quiet baffles really do is cut the harsher, higher pitched, crack out of the exhaust note. The result is a nice, smooth, deep, rumble.

Here is a link to my pipes after I had the stage 1 done. In the description, for comparison, there is a link to hear my bike before I did the stage 1.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:00 AM
pontiac69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

on my 11 wide glide i had the big shots. i went from stock baffles, to the quiet core baffles, to big city thunder quiet baffles, back to the stock baffles. THe V&H quiet baffles didnt really drop the db's (to my ears), it just made the exhaust a little deeper. Took them out because i didnt really like all that restriction. SO then i put in the BCT baffles. WoW those were way to loud. I installed them 7" in the pipe (if i remember correct). Finally i went back to the stock baffles. Liked them the best. I have utube videos on all the exhaust changes i made.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:53 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Thank you

Originally Posted by DK Custom
The W version of the Thunder Torque Inserts are significantly different than lollipops.

Here's a vid of a guy that ran a few different lollipops before he tried the Thunder Torques.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWXcWedilWY

The shape, texture and material make the difference you can hear and feel.

For the OP, the TTI's do not reduce the volume so much as make it a deeper tone, which to many sounds like less volume.

You can run the TTI's with or without baffles.

There are many threads on the forum of folks using these...below is one-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...e-inserts.html

Quick Reply: Vance and Hines Quiet Baffles or DK Custom Thunder Torque Inserts