Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I nuts?

Old 02-24-2013, 04:47 PM
see22ds
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I nuts?

I aslo posted this in road trips

Hello All,
Ok so I may be in need of a reality check...A few weeks ago I bought a 2001 Wide Glide...bike is mechanically sound, good rubber, and great shape...about 5000 miles. I am a 42 year old male is relatively good shape, back in 2009 i had a spinal fusion which since then I have had to give up other riding activities such as snowmobiling and four wheeling...my back just cant handle the jaring and i have not learned to go slow.

So here is my idea...In Late may my girlfriend needs to go back home for a family thing to Texas and she is flying. I want to ride down there from here in Wisconsin. I have not been on a bike in about 10 years, and I figure between now and then I will be hitting the local roads with a few longer weekend runs. It is about 1100 miles one way and I have 5-6 days to make the complete trip. Thoughts...am i bitting off more than I can chew?

Thanks for any input.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:07 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Only you know what you can and can not do.
Like you said do some riding and increase the mileage as you can to see what you can handle. A good back rest will make a lot of difference for you. As long as you are able to remain comfortable you should do fine. When you become uncomfortable then stress will come into play. When stress hits you could and most likely start to have pain. Once you feel uncomfortable stop riding and take a break. at 550 miles a day you can take lots of breaks and remain rather comfortable. Leave early and ride late if possible. I normally do back roads but there are times it is necessary to use the interstate.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Lennyone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Long motorcycle trips demand planning. What you need, where to stay, and beprepared for the weather. Unless you're riding a fully fledged touring motorcycle, you'll probably need to invest in some type of storage bags. I havea one bag that fits on my detractable sissy bar. The best investment I evermade was the Mustang seat I purchase. This is a must if you are going to ride 8 hours a day, I do not know how your back is going to like it. Think of the traffic, I hate being in rush hour traffic. GPS or a map is also needed. Have a safe trip if you do it. This is just my two cent.

Last edited by Lennyone; 02-24-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,513 Likes on 6,270 Posts

Yes, I think you are. I had back surgery in '94. I don't like to ride over 400 miles a day, on my Ultra. I suppose if you took enough breaks, and stretched, it's doable. But not fun.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:56 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Work your way up to long rides doing day trips with buddies of 200, 250, 300, and 350 in one day. This way doing loners of 300 a day starting early each day with nice 15-20 minute long breaks along the way will be a walk in the park. Next, buy a good quality back brace/belt. Stay in quality motels not motel 6 type. Spoil yourself by sitting in the spa each night. You'll do just fine.
Bob

Old 02-24-2013, 06:13 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Hitting the road on some long runs before your trip will give good idea of how many miles you will be able to stay in the saddle. The best best place to start for a bad back is having a good seat and good suspension. Those two alone can make a huge difference. Something else to consider is setting your ride up with good ergonomics. ie: feet and handle bar positions. Because of my back I cant do forwards. People can say what the want about having the wind in their face but when your burning up a lot of interstate a windshield saves a lot of fatigue.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:36 PM
bufbills
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ynots
Hitting the road on some long runs before your trip will give good idea of how many miles you will be able to stay in the saddle. The best best place to start for a bad back is having a good seat and good suspension. Those two alone can make a huge difference. Something else to consider is setting your ride up with good ergonomics. ie: feet and handle bar positions. Because of my back I cant do forwards. People can say what the want about having the wind in their face but when your burning up a lot of interstate a windshield saves a lot of fatigue.
This. All of this.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:03 PM
rhoderider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally a 42 year old man who has been riding for awhile and who is even in fair shape would probably find a trip such as this relatively easy. I think you pointed out the two reasons no one can say how such a trip will go for you. IMHO the first thing you should do is go talk to your doctor. He can give you information on your back and your physical limitations that no one here can provide. If the doctor gives you "good news" then the second thing you need to address is whether your skills are up to the task. Not having ridden for such a period of time, other skilled riders who are in a position to observe your skill level are in a much better position to give you advice on whether you are ready for such a trip. I hope it works out for you and that you can make the trip. IMHO there are few things in life more enjoyable than a road trip.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:11 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

A good seat and wind protection are essential. I also find that good hydration and wearing earplugs helps reduce fatigue, even with a full face helmet.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Throttle_Jockey
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's very achievable depending on how long your able to sit. The main problem with a trip planned in such a short turn around is being able to rest once you've arrived/ before you depart.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I nuts?