Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions, decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 07:47 PM
slave2theaxe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions, decisions...

So I have a dilemma, but first a little background...

I have been riding dirt/sportbikes for the better part of 20 years, but I've reached a point in my life where I just want to cruise and enjoy the road in comfort and style.

I'm going to be doing a wide variety of riding... short commutes, long rides, as well as some twisties through the mountains and canyons.

I am really drawn to the Dyna, the Wide Glide in particular, but the skinny front tire is my one big concern with it. I know that it has a tendency to track with cracks/grooves in the road. I think if the Super Glide Custom came with the 103 and fwd controls I'd be all over it. The Switchback and the Fat Bob have the options I'm looking for, but I'm not really digging the styling. I also started looking into factory customizing a Street Bob with the 103 and fwd controls...that's actually the way I'm starting to lean, but I still love the look of the Wide Glide.

I've looked into some of the other models (Fat Boy Lo, Blackline) but it seems like the Dyna is going to be the more nimble of the bunch.

Any suggestions from those of you that own/ride them???

Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 PM
QC-RAIDERS-91
Road Captain

I would personally go with the Superglide I got friends with the 103 wideglide and they doesn't find it that powerful so go with whatever you like but i think the best of both world in your case is streetbob

Old 02-24-2013, 08:11 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how much power your looking for? But there is plenty of power for me. I haven't noticed my front tire trying to follow cracks in the road either. The contact patch on this tire isn't really much different than the contact patch on a wider tire.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cam the Harleys from a dirt bike background too. I saved 15 years to be able to buy my first HD. All those years, I wanted a Fat Boy and then I rode one and it felt like a land barge. The Dyna was a perfect choice for the riding I planned to do. I bought a 2006 Wide Glide and loved it. I never had a probelm with the narrow front tire and I put over 40,000 miles on that bike in less than three years. I traded it for a Road Glide when my riding habits changed from a few hundred miles a weekend to a few thousand in a week.

As much as I love the comfort of a touring bike, I missed the nimble handling of my Wide Glide and was fortunate to find an unbeatable deal on the SuperGlide I have now, which offers me the best of both worlds. I agree with QC's sentiment and recommend a SuperGlide because in my opinion, it's the beast value for the money Harley makes. It's a great canvas to work from as you make it your own.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Why not test drive all 5 dynas and then you can make a good choice?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:19 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I would weigh in but I am too offended, I think I am going to my room!

Old 02-24-2013, 08:20 PM
slave2theaxe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Qdog002
Why not test drive all 5 dynas and then you can make a good choice?
Oh, I'm planning on doing some test rides...just trying to narrow down my options to 2 or 3.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:21 PM
slave2theaxe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alansummrs
I would weigh in but I am too offended, I think I am going to my room!
Sorry bro...different strokes ya know...

Old 02-24-2013, 08:27 PM
TGWN
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the cheaper price and pick up an enduro also. Its hard to give up those trails.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

I own a 2013 SuperGlide Custom so I`m a little partial but I think a test ride between the SGC and the SB and WG would make your mind up for you. All 3 all easy to customize to any set up you like.

Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions...