Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams swap - slowly but surely.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Cams swap - slowly but surely.

As I posted several weeks ago, my 'winter' project is to do a cam swap in my '010 FB, so I spent the better part of today doing the prep work. I decided to keep the OEM pushrods rather than use the adj kind, so I removed the tank/console + rocker covers, in addition to the exhaust + foot controls + cam cover. After a good nights rest, I will tackle the cams tomorrow - yank the EPA sticks and put in the SE 254E set. Hope to post successful results when finished.

The naked bike:

Cam sprockets with timing marks lined up:

~

Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

cool
keep us posted on how it goes

Old 02-25-2013, 08:01 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Subscribed! Keep the pics coming and tell us what you learned and any difficulties, etc.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:20 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could have saved yourself a bunch of work and just took out the rear tank bolt and lifted the tank up out of the way......I have done it a couple of times.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts
Default SE-254E cams are in!

SE-254E cams are done!

Working slowly and methodically I was able to complete the SE-254E cams install last night. Went for a shake-down run today and all's good - no strange noises or leaks. Idle is smooth, exhaust sound is not that much different than the stock cams. If you’re looking for the classic hot-rod Harley “po-ta-to, po-ta-to” tune then these cams aren’t for you.

Power output, though, is noticeably up over the stock bump-sticks, right from idle and on up to at least 4000 rpm - I’ll rev it higher once the new parts are properly broken in. It felt good. One surprise I didn’t expect was that there was absolutely no popping on decel, and I tried to make it happen three or four times. I am planning on adding an auto-tuner sometime in the future (T-Max, PowrVisn) but right now it seems the XIEDs are up to the task so I’m in no real rush.

I used the Heartland cam puller/install tool kit that comes with new B168 bearings, and except for one minor detail the tool kit was of great assistance in getting the job done. Out of the box, the fingers on the puller were spread a little too far apart to fit into the old bearings, so I had to tweak the fingers a bit with a small hammer before it would slide into position. The installer is set up so that the bearing is automatically pressed in to the proper depth - no guesswork on your part necessary. Overall, it’s a great kit, and the fact that it comes with new bearings makes it a very worthwhile investment at $115 or so.

I wasn’t as happy with the #C9664 Cometic Cam Service Kit however. The gaskets weren’t cut/punched very cleanly and needed some “detailing” for the install. Also, the rocker cover gaskets don’t come with the silicone beads like the MoCo’s, so I ended up going down to the dealer to pick up some OEM gaskets. One other comment: there are a variety of O-rings required for the install, and you have to carefully match up the old and new rubber parts by eye as there is no description/drawing included with the kit. Given all the above, if I ever have to do this over again, I would just buy OEM parts to begin with.

All in all, I’m completely satisfied with the cam swap and actually enjoyed wrenching it myself. If any of you have been walking the fence on tackling this kind of mod, take it from me - with the excellent S&S vid, your service manual, this forum, and a lot of time and patience you too can get it done.
Here are some pics - I will create an album on my member's page after I sort out the rest. Thanks for your interest - ride safe.
~

The cam cavity with old bearings - you can see the flywheel just behind the bearings:

The old cams on the support plate:

The old INA bearing (left) and the new Koyo B168 (right) - note the needles and cage:

Stock EPA stick on left, SE-254E on right (note larger lobes on SE cam):

Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Watch it close with just Xied's. You need to check your plugs. I would get a tuner ASAP before some thing happens. Xied's are not enuff to make the ECM add the right fuel.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Great job! I put SE255 in mine back in September and used the MoCo gasket kit. What a difference and learning experience. Good on You!

Old 03-01-2013, 10:18 PM
20RoadGlidin
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice man. I've been thinking about cams for a while now. So I'm guessing you're all healed up now? That's good to hear. I hope your buddy made a full recovery. Safe riding man!

Old 03-01-2013, 10:21 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats ... Bravo Zulu ... a job well done ...

R/
'Chop

Old 03-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Deuceman06
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work. I've watched the S&S 57 min. video on Youtube and I must say that they make it look fairly easy. I still am not sure though if I would have the guts to attempt it. What kind of mechanical background do you possess?

Quick Reply: Cams swap - slowly but surely.