Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Super glide won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 PM
rossperk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 09 Super glide won't start

I have an 09 fxdc. Always keep battery tender when not being ridden. I took it out in jan. to get inspected. Had a hell of a time starting it, fuel pump would not prime. After plugging in to tender again, after a while she cranked up. Cranked fine after inspection as well.

Took it out this past weekend and had a hell of a time starting it again. Rode for a couple hours just fine. Did not plug into tender after ride.

Went to start tonight and she cranked right up. But, it shut off after a minute. Can't get fuel pump to prime now and won't start. All lights work but dim when the you hit start. Would the battery keep the fuel pump from priming and cause it shut off? I can see not letting fuel pump prime, but would it cause bike to shut off?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:25 PM
dmpjr
Tourer

I would load test that battery 1st and check connections.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Is it the original battery? Run a multi-meter on the posts & see what it reads...12.7V is full.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:32 PM
rossperk
Novice

Yeah....... The battery is original...... I will start there. I had already replaced relay a couple years ago and used gel on it

Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 PM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer

Did you use a fuel stabilizer when you put her away? Could have gummed up gas in the pump! I agree...battery should your first stop! Good luck with it!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:43 AM
rossperk
Novice

Yeah...... i used fuel stabilizer

Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd check the tightness of teh battery connections first and work from there with voltage. It sounds like the run/stop switch could be at fault too with what you said about the fuel pump.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:52 PM
rossperk
Novice

Going to check battery tonight....... changed battery in FOB too....... had not done that in three years.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:17 PM
rossperk
Novice

Ok battery cables tight, battery charge is good. Engine will turn over but fuel pump will still not prime. Fuel pump fuse appears good as well.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might only have a good surface charge. These batteries don't have a lot of cold cranking amps. I'd be willing to bet you just need a new battery. Without an actual load test its impossible to say for certain but just because your seeing a good read on a meter really isn't a sure sign that its an ok battery. 2 yrs on an orig battery from HD is another sign for me anyway that it may be time to replace it. While many people get many more years than that out of there stock battery, many others dont. You might have gotten the one crappy battery in the lot....it happens....I change mine every 2 years needed or not...piece of mind ya know.......If your getting fuel once it starts and there's no sputtering or bogging there's another sign that the fuel pump and or fuel management system is probably ok. Can't rule out the run/stop switch either.

My money is on the battery. A fresh battery at this point after 4 years is a given in most cases. Might be time for wires n plugs too. Could be a combo of low amps and inadequate spark.

I'd start with new battery and if the problem proceeds it might be time for you to throw it on a computer and have a diagnostic run. While it could be anything more serious I'd start with the less serious before throwing money at it trying to guess your way through it. That battery should be changed anyway brother. 4 years is a good run.

Last edited by Joboo1966; 02-27-2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Verbs

Quick Reply: 09 Super glide won't start