Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem with 2008 Street Bob

Old 03-03-2013, 12:32 PM
EagleArmsHBAR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with 2008 Street Bob

I just found and bought a 2008 FXDBI with 4855 miles on it!

I was happy with the find and made the purchase last night. Today I had a 200 mile ride home with it and I noticed a few issues that I did not last night.

1) When opening the throttle all the way (like when passing or hard acceleration), the bike seems to rev up before kicking in. Also if the bike is in 6th gear and you open the throttle all the way, the "6" light on the speedo turns off when it is revving but when it catches it comes back on.

Is this an issue that could be due to O2 sensors or possibly the lack of a stage I download?

2) There is a gas leak coming from the fuel injection throttle body and the air box. I think this is because someone did a shitty job installing the air box. I have attached pics of this? Do you guys think I need a new seal or should I trash this air box and put an OEM back on?

3) There is a loose wire hanging near the fuel injection with a cap on it, as seen in the pic below. Is this supposed to be connected to something?

Thanks for the help!

Old 03-03-2013, 01:01 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From what your describing, it sounds like the first problem is your clutch is slipping. I would start by buying the shop manual and ajusting the clutch and cable to specs.
It's hard to tell by the pics, but usually there are 2 hosesthat vent back into the throttle body and you can get some blowby in there. Are you sure it is gas leaking? Where is the oil level when you check it hot? Sometimes if you run the oil all the way to the top line or overfill it more crap will get into the throttle body.

The loose plug you see is not used in the american harleys and you can just zip tie it out of site...so no worries there.

Keep us posted...buy the shop manual right away.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Psi23
Banned
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah It could be the throttle cable needs adjusting too. Does it have play before you feel resistance. I would check that too. That leak looks like blow by where does he have those black lines routed to??? From your pics it looks like it is not into the tb. Worse case check the crossover too. Unless the tank is in bad shape underneath( shouldn't be with such low miles ) that should cure your problem.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:31 PM
EagleArmsHBAR
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Psi23
Yeah It could be the throttle cable needs adjusting too. Does it have play before you feel resistance. I would check that too. That leak looks like blow by where does he have those black lines routed to??? From your pics it looks like it is not into the tb. Worse case check the crossover too. Unless the tank is in bad shape underneath( shouldn't be with such low miles ) that should cure your problem.
No play before resistance. It will rev, but it takes a second to catch. It feels like you are riding the clutch when you open it all the way, even though you are not. The clutch feels fine. I had problems with the clutch on my 06, and this does not seem like that is the problem.

I checked the oil level. It is way overfilled, so I'll pull some out when I have my tools. Idiot dealership overfilled it I guess. It is oil coming from the throttle. Will this have caused any damage to the engine?

Next question:
Does harley make a QD mount for those saddle bags? If so, will I be able to use the bags and the QD sissybar at the same time?

Last edited by EagleArmsHBAR; 03-03-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:35 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The clutch feels fine. I had problems with the clutch on my 06, and this does not seem like that is the problem.
The clutch may "feel fine" but until you adjst it inside the derby cover you have no idea where its at. What you "feel" is the cable adjustment.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:49 PM
EagleArmsHBAR
Cruiser

OK, I'll tear it down when I have time this week. I think I remember how to adjust it based on the stuff I had to mess with on my 06. I will be freaking happy as hell if it is just the clutch! That and draining some oil and it will be bueno!

Any idea on the QD saddle bags/back rest working together?

After bath pic:

Last edited by EagleArmsHBAR; 03-03-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let us know what you find.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:52 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Do what rooti said, check clutch adjustment and go from there. I just help a friend adjusting his clutch the other day and the slippage went away.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:35 PM
hawnd83
Cruiser

I agree with the clutch slipping diagnosis.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:16 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Another ditto to rooti...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: problem with 2008 Street Bob