Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace primary gasket when removing cover on new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Replace primary gasket when removing cover on new engine?

I need to remove the primary cover(the whole thing, not just the clutch cover) in order to install the SE clutch spring. I'm just over 1000 miles...I know the manual says to replace gaskets any time you remove any cover...is it really going to be necessary after only 1000 miles though? Assuming the gasket doesn't come apart, obviously.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:25 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i am one of those replace gaskets everytime guys, but with canadian price of $75 for the primary cover gasket i would carefully remove the primary tryign not to damge the existing gasket and then re-torque the cover down and pray it doesnt leak. worse case scenario is you leak a bit and have to re&re the cover for a new gasket

Old 03-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
i am one of those replace gaskets everytime guys, but with canadian price of $75 for the primary cover gasket i would carefully remove the primary tryign not to damge the existing gasket and then re-torque the cover down and pray it doesnt leak. worse case scenario is you leak a bit and have to re&re the cover for a new gasket
Yikes, didn't know they were that expensive. Well definitely going to try reusing it. Maybe use some black RTV as well?

Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Check the price down there for it. We usually get hosed an extra 50% on parts up here.
I was told by some one you could remove the clutch via the derby cover. Please correct me if that is wrong, as I have a SE clutch plate that I have to install.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:34 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the older bikes u could go through the derby with some persuasive maneuvering but newer ones u cant

Old 03-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gommee
Check the price down there for it. We usually get hosed an extra 50% on parts up here.
I was told by some one you could remove the clutch via the derby cover. Please correct me if that is wrong, as I have a SE clutch plate that I have to install.
If only the moco had been that smart. Definitely can't fit clutch plates through the hole and I've read that the spring I'm replacing won't fit either.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Bummer, guess mine comes apart.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:49 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,535 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Listen, I have never replaced my primary gasket, derby cover "O" Ring or ( in my case,) the inspection cover gasket these bikes used to have.

My bike is 13 years old and just turned 124,000 miles. If you don't tear it, you can re-use it. Someday I'll have to buy a new one, ( maybe,) but not until this one leaks. ( I have an assigned parking space at work made of concrete, and there is not one drop of oil from my bike on that surface. The guys at the Office would have a field day with me if it ever did....)

What have you got to lose by trying? 30 extra minutes?

Last edited by Stiggy; 03-04-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:36 AM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Listen, I have never replaced my primary gasket, derby cover "O" Ring or ( in my case,) the inspection cover gasket these bikes used to have.

My bike is 13 years old and just turned 124,000 miles. If you don't tear it, you can re-use it. Someday I'll have to buy a new one, ( maybe,) but not until this one leaks. ( I have an assigned parking space at work made of concrete, and there is not one drop of oil from my bike on that surface. The guys at the Office would have a field day with me if it ever did....)

What have you got to lose by trying? 30 extra minutes?
I'm definitely going to try not replacing the primary gasket. But for what it's worth, I've already had the derby cover off once and even though I made sure the oring was set properly and the screws were torqued, I just noticed a small leak at the bottom of the cover the other day.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:29 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

I powder coated a bunch of stuff on my Street Glide at 1000 miles so stuff came off and went back on, primary included. Didn't put on a new gasket on the primary. As long as the integrity of the gasket isn't compromised you should be fine. Put it back on, torque it down and check it for leaks. Mine has be fine.

Quick Reply: Replace primary gasket when removing cover on new engine?