Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burly Slammer kit, too low? Advice?

Old 03-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
Question Burly Slammer kit, too low? Advice?

O.K., I'm really thinking about lowering my Street Bob. I like the Burly kit for both front and rear, but I'm wondering about clearance, cornering, etc... I live in a hilly area. Just about every road around here has twisties, with quite a few hair pin turns. I have to take a hair pin just to get out on the highway in one direction.

My question... how does the 10.5" shocks handle in situations like that? I'm sure they are great in flat areas.

Also, what about parking situations like parking on angled areas? I know I will need a shorter kick stand. Does anyone have experience with parking on hills with a lowered bike, is the lean angle the same? Does it make a difference? Have you encountered problems?

I'm just flat footing it at 5'2" with a 29" inseam and 115 lbs. I never take passengers; I don't ride overly aggressive and I'm not going for looks. I love they way my bike handles out on the road; but I could use a little more leverage for moving it around.

I'm trying to decide between the 11" Progressives and the 10.5" Burly's. I would prefer the Burly's but don't want to get stuck with a bike that's too low.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:17 PM
! rock103 !
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 174 Likes on 84 Posts

I just put the Burly's on, but also installed V&H short shot pipes. Im sure the factory pipe would scrape constantly if i hadnt switched. Factory pipes were scraping already with the factory shocks.

Last edited by ! rock103 !; 03-04-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:20 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

We have a 2010 wide glide , one inch progressive lowered fork springs with 11 inch shocks.
You are limited to the exhaust you can use because of scraping.
I will say that is is really low. I have a 30 inch inseam and my legs are bent really good when stopping. Wit the forward controls I had to add the reduce reach kit with a back rest, had to make a new mounting for the BR so it would allow me to be closer to reach the bars and forward controls.
Personally I really like it lowered, looks cool and really made the bike feel much lighter. Handling is good, it really made it easy to back up. That was the biggest factor I like the most. Nothing more intimidating than trying to back up a bike on your toes.
Just me on the bike-135lbs-the shorter shocks-11inches- rides good.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ! rock103 !
I just put the Burly's on, but also installed V&H short shot pipes. Im sure the factory pipe would scrape constantly if i hadnt switched. Factory pipes were scraping already with the factory shocks.
I've got Cycle Shack slip ons. Never had a problem with scaping my pipes. I was wondering about that with the Burly's. Hmmm.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
We have a 2010 wide glide , one inch progressive lowered fork springs with 11 inch shocks.
You are limited to the exhaust you can use because of scraping.
I will say that is is really low. I have a 30 inch inseam and my legs are bent really good when stopping. Wit the forward controls I had to add the reduce reach kit with a back rest, had to make a new mounting for the BR so it would allow me to be closer to reach the bars and forward controls.
Personally I really like it lowered, looks cool and really made the bike feel much lighter. Handling is good, it really made it easy to back up. That was the biggest factor I like the most. Nothing more intimidating than trying to back up a bike on your toes.
Just me on the bike-135lbs-the shorter shocks-11inches- rides good.
Thanks for your reply. Did you end up changing your exhaust? I do have the reduced reach seat on but I have mid controls, which I really like.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I too have a street bob thats lowered. I love the look and feel of the drop kit but, those corners really aren't the same that low. You really gotta watch the pipes, and pegs as well. If you dont ride too aggressively and can manage taking the corners slower, then it would be a good fit for ya. I personally really like the look of the dropped rear end, with how it fills the fender but, I'll probably make other modifications to the wheel and fender and go back to a 12'' shock. Especially if I lived in an area like yours with lots of twisties.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:04 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bet you'll be fine. Im 205 and the only time I scraped anything when I had my Burlys was coming out of a driveway with a little curb at the end. I would be more concerned with the ride than scraping. Youre tiny. lol. And Burly's are stiff. Even on the softest setting. I loved the stance but the ride kind of beat me up. The expansion joints in the freeway where I live just flat out SUCK with the Burlys. On smooth roads they were great though. So I guess it kind of depends on the roads you usually find yourself on. I still have my Burlys and drop ins and kick stand but Im looking into Bitchen Bagger touring shocks. They cut them down to whatever length you need and the prices are pretty good. I think around 175 with exchange.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior

Lot's of good info....

Dymam1te, yes- I was a little worried about the cornering. If I wasn't so short, I would just keep the stock shocks on. Decisions, decisions...

Spankdog, I used to ride a Sporty Hugger, which I loved, but had a real rough ride. I don't think I want to go back to that, if I can help it. The roads around here range from smooth highway to deep ruts, potholes, cattle guards and dirt/gravel roads and driveways. I, of course, slow down for the crappy roads, but they are here and unavoidable sometimes. It sounds like I will have to trade off some comfort for the shorter shocks. I'm going to look into those Bitchen Baggers, thanks!

Old 03-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior

Hmmm, went to Bitchen Bagger site. It seems they will cut down your bagger air shocks. Since I don't have those, I would have to buy them at $450.00. Great deal for those with air shocks though!

Old 03-04-2013, 03:15 PM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Just do Burly's, Bare Bones seat, and adjust your bars back towards you and you will be set. The Burly's are the Progressive 412 11" without the bottom cup. The Burly stuff is made by Progressive.

It's going to be a firmer ride because you can not have both comfort and lowered.

You do not need to modify your stand. Just don't lean your bike towards an incline. Very easy to grind on the tab of the stand to adjust lean angle though, if you feel its necessary to make you feel better at night. My bike is still on stock, unmodified stand.

I would look into the cut down bagger shocks. I may try that out myself in the future. You can get the bagger shocks on Ebay for $100 or less.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Burly Slammer kit, too low? Advice?