Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDF Exhaust Bracket Torque?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:57 AM
ABBob
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXDF Exhaust Bracket Torque?

I haven't picked up a service manual yet for the '10 Fat Bob I bought a few weeks ago. Can someone please let me know what the exhaust bracket studs and bolt should be torqued to? Want to keep them tight and hopefully avoid problems.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The nuts and bolt are all 15-19 ft-lb.

Do yourself a favour - replace the studs and bolt with high tensile. They will almost certainly shear off at some point.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:55 PM
ABBob
6th Gear

Thanks, will check them tonight and upgrade the bolt and studs soon.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:56 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

According to my 2012 Dyna Service Manual: Muffler bracket flange nuts and bolt torque to 15 - 19 ft-lbs.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:13 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The recipe is tighten them in until all four have the same amount of "snug" and a1/4 turn from there, and re-check them after a 50 mile ride, once the engine has completely cooled. If your talking about the flange nuts, that is, because it will be difficult to get a torque wrench in there. If you mean the brackets that hold the system to the frame good'ntight like a german virgin without undue stress of course and re-check them too!

Old 03-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
The recipe is tighten them in until all four have the same amount of "snug" and a1/4 turn from there, and re-check them after a 50 mile ride, once the engine has completely cooled. If your talking about the flange nuts, that is, because it will be difficult to get a torque wrench in there. If you mean the brackets that hold the system to the frame good'ntight like a german virgin without undue stress of course and re-check them too!
Yup, he means the exhaust hanger bracket, rather than the nuts on the studs at the flange.

You have to be a bit careful with "good'ntight like a german virgin without undue stress"...these bolts have sheared off for a lot of Fat Bob owners, over or under-tightening might contribute to this. They really are just a bit crap and need replacing with HT.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:06 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
Yup, he means the exhaust hanger bracket, rather than the nuts on the studs at the flange.

You have to be a bit careful with "good'ntight like a german virgin without undue stress"...these bolts have sheared off for a lot of Fat Bob owners, over or under-tightening might contribute to this. They really are just a bit crap and need replacing with HT.
Yes agreed and the worse problem is the cast aluminum housing the bolts screw into that can easily be stripped. I know I had to oversize on after the dealer played with it years back. So stronger bolts do not mean they can be over-tightened.

And by reading through the previous posts it would seem the flange nuts and mounting hardware have the same torque value.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:22 PM
ABBob
6th Gear

Anyone have a good online source for replacement high tensile bolts and studs? All I can find around here are the gold grade 8 bolts.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:38 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Digging this thread up. Foxster did you replace yours? Do you have part #'s or dimensions ?