Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wood TW-222 & D&D Fatcat - first road test

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wood TW-222 & D&D Fatcat - first road test

Just an update on the mods I had completed a couple weeks ago....weather finally got to almost 50 this afternoon, so I finally got to take it out for a 100 mile ride this evening.

A couple weeks ago I had Wood TW-222 cams & D&D fat Cat with big bore baffle installed & re-dyno tuned with SEPST.

Well, the bike is totally different than before the mods...

First the exhaust:
I LOVE the Fat Cat with the big boar baffle! It has a great rumble at highway speeds, but it's not as loud cruising as I thought it was going to be....it's actually a very pleasant note. However, when you twist the throttle, it really barks. About 3,000 rpm is where it starts to bark. WOT brings it to life and it sounds like a drag bike, but cruising at speeds up to 80 it just has a nice note. About 80 in 6th is about 3,000 rpm and it gets progressively louder from there. Normal cruising = a nice rumble. This is also nice as I can keep it peaceful in town and not irritate people....it just has a nice rumble cruising through town at low rpms.

Now the cams:
The Wood 222 cams rock! Power and torque is much different than with the stock cams. Torque starts ramping up at around 2,000 making all the gears more usable at lower speeds. I intentionally did some slower speed accelerating in 6th....before cam change, 6th wasn't really usable below about 60, now it is usable all the way down to 50. From there you can roll on the throttle without lugging. I won't make a habit of this, just wanted to feel the difference to see what would lug the engine.
About 2,500 rpm and it's starting to build nicely, then about 3,000 it really comes on and hp ramps up sharply from there. The bike runs out nicely all the way up. I only took it up to 5,500, but it was like a rocket and still pulling insanely hard. Wood advertises the cam for 2,000-6,000 rpm, and I would say that is very accurate. Great torque at low rpms, and great power at higher rpms. I'm very happy with my cam choice!

All in all, I made the right choices with cams and pipe. I highly recommend the Wood TW-222 cams and D&D Fat Cat combination to anyone wanting more out of their otherwise stock 96 or 103.

I will have to add that the right combination is only as good as the tune, and my tuner did an awesome job with the dyno tune with SEPST, and it seems spot on and runs great. When you let off the throttle, it sounds like a jake brake with absolutely no decel popping. I figured I would have some with the big boar baffle, but I don't. He spent 7 hours tuning it and did it right....also very happy with the tune.

Just a little comparison to some other torque cams....I have rode several bikes with the SE 255 cams, and a couple with the Andrews 48H cams. From my experience, the TW-222 has somewhat similar characteristics as both of these cams at low rpms, but runs out better...much better than the se-255. They pull much harder at WOT and once you get over 3,000 than either the se-255 or 48H. I would say that the se-255 & 48H makes a little more torque from idle to about 2,500, then the TW-222 feels better from 2,500 all the way up.

For a lighter Dyna or Softail, I would recommend these cams as a first choice for those with stock compression & heads. If I had a heavier bagger, it would be a tough choice between the TW-222 & 48H.

Hope this short write-up helps someone looking at these cams or pipe. Not a lot of info out there with this exact setup.

In the wind.

Last edited by Sharkman73; 03-08-2013 at 09:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bafflingbs (04-27-2017)
Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Nice review of your mods! Congrats on nice performance upgrade, I might have to pencil those cams in on my wish list.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 PM
13bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey shark man, thanks for your write up and glad to hear you are really happy with your set up. It's rare to find a good tuner that will spend 7hrs tuning a bike...

I am in the process of choosing a cam, and now I am seriously considering the 222. Your bike is a 96" right? Do you have a dyno chart you can post up?? I'd love to see that TQ curve.

Thanks

Last edited by 13bob; 03-08-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 AM
Sgt7212
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool write up Sharkman! Thanks for the info. The TW-222 is still at the top of my wish list for cams, however, I'm probably going to wait until next year to do it.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:03 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice write up but I wish guys like you would stop making my wallet bleeeeeeed! Just kidding man, I'm totally stoked for new cams now! Thank you.
Adding to your comparison to the SE 255 which is what I have, the 255 is dead after 4500 , so it's really an orange and apple no brainer. Boy if I had known then!

Last edited by maddghost; 03-09-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:11 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

What kind of numbers did u get with your cam choice

Old 03-09-2013, 08:14 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've just done some reading and my bike needs the tw 555 cams because of the added compression - lolz I just knew I was gonna crack my wallet again!

edit =

I just found this comparison chart on another site and decided there is not a whole lot of difference, 4lb' of torque and 10 ponies. the wood's win the race for sure, if only I had known before I got the 255's , anyone want to buy some SE 255 cams cheap, just pm me!

blue =SE255 red = TW555

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/s...5vsWood555.jpg

Last edited by maddghost; 03-09-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 13bob
Hey shark man, thanks for your write up and glad to hear you are really happy with your set up. It's rare to find a good tuner that will spend 7hrs tuning a bike...

I am in the process of choosing a cam, and now I am seriously considering the 222. Your bike is a 96" right? Do you have a dyno chart you can post up?? I'd love to see that TQ curve.

Thanks
Yes, it's a 96" with stock heads, stock jugs & pistons/compression.
I do have a dyno sheeet, and I posted it on another thread when I got my bike back, but unfortunately it's on my work computer and I am at home so I can't post it again right now.
Rounding down/up to nearest whole #s, it made 86hp/96tq.

I will say is that I love the pipe, and love the big boar baffle, but I would have probably been better off low tq wise if I had went with the standard baffle as far as making even more low end grunt. With the big boar baffle, it forces both curves slightly higher in the rpm range. The big boar baffle would be more effective with bigger inch engines and head work/higher compression. You sure don't notice it riding it and don't feel any weak or flat spots, but honestly with a 96 with stock heads I would recommend the standard baffle. The big boar will give you more upper end, the standard baffle more lower end.
I'm still happy with my choice of pipe & baffle as it sounds awesome & runs great....all I'm saying is that the standard baffle would give you more grunt off of idle to a bout 2,500 or so than the bb baffle....after that the bb baffle will give you more.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 07bobber
What kind of numbers did u get with your cam choice
86hp/96tq

I see other people getting more out of these cams...Jamie is getting some crazy numbers like low 90s hp & 102+tq with the 222 & Jackpot exhaust. Not sure if it's the PV he's using to tune, difference in the dyno & conditions or what. After some further research, most other numbers I am seeing on this cam with 2-1 and otherwise stock engine are similar to mine. It's not unreasonable to get 90/100 with just this cam, I just didn't quite get there with mine.
Numbers are still good, but how the bike feels in real world riding conditions tells the real story, and I am very impressed.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sgt7212
Very cool write up Sharkman! Thanks for the info. The TW-222 is still at the top of my wish list for cams, however, I'm probably going to wait until next year to do it.
Winter time is the best time....most dealers run cam specials starting in about November through February or March.

$999 includes se cams, se adjustable push rods,Torrington cam bearings, labor and dyno tune. The Wood cams were about $100 more than the se cams so it should is around $1,100 + tax.

Quick Reply: Wood TW-222 & D&D Fatcat - first road test