Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD's "Grenade" Starter Coil

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Ciphex
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD's "Grenade" Starter Coil

Anyone know whether the starter coil featured in the image below is available for purchase somewhere? I was at my local HD shop the other day and noticed several of the bikes sporting these. I would love to ditch the horn and go lean with something like this for my '09 fxdf.

Last edited by Ciphex; 03-11-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This style got brought up a while ago, you can read about it here. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...nd-coil-2.html
It doesn't say where you can buy the grenade shape, but there is a lot more that goes into getting the coil relocated there.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:24 PM
TX Rebel
Cruiser

LINK and the OEM # should be 31684-08.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:30 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

This coil is wired differently for the Softail electrical system. I tried to get help on how to wire it so it would work on the Dyna with no results. I would like to see this happen!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:46 AM
Jacoblb
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blueangel73
This coil is wired differently for the Softail electrical system. I tried to get help on how to wire it so it would work on the Dyna with no results. I would like to see this happen!
Yeah I saw that when I looked into it yesterday after reading this thread. 4 pins instead of 3. I wonder if it would work if you just didn't wire that fourth one. Its for ISS but I'm not clear on what exactly that does andd how it would affect the performance of the coil.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

If all you're looking to do is clean up the bike why not go with DK Customs coil and horn relocation kits?

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Harl...K-DYN-CRLC.htm

Guaranteed to work, no messing with figuring anything out and designed for your bike.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:23 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mattVA
If all you're looking to do is clean up the bike why not go with DK Customs coil and horn relocation kits?

Guaranteed to work, no messing with figuring anything out and designed for your bike.
I agree 100% and its also way cheaper to relocate your existing coil and you get upgraded plug wires in the process. Also, I believe the DK Customs kit is even cheaper now if you elect to omit the wiring harness from the kit (if you plan on just extending your existing wiring and soldering).

Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by mattVA

I agree the DK relocation is a great way to go if all you want to do is relocate the coil. I originally wanted to to this because I could relocate not only the coild but also the ignition. I would like to do the dash iginition switch, but I am waiting until some puts a kit together, I don't have the time to piece everything together and end up missing something. I just want to drill the hole and install everything. I know how to do everything, just don't have the time. Anyways, the coil the OP asked about is an awesome alternative to relocating both the could and ignition, just need to figure out the wiring.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

This thread implies the coil is going to be different: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...explained.html

Old 03-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Ciphex
Intermediate

The "Grenade" coil (#31684-08) has a resistance of 0.3-0.5 Ohms whereas my '09 FXDF requires 0.5-0.7 Ohms. So this coil is not compatible.

In response to some of the thoughts offered up here... The DK Customs coil relocation kit doesn't look aesthetically pleasing to me. Also, I'm trying to get rid of the center console which requires the relocation of the ignition switch and DKC's kit doesn't have space for this while other setups do.

Last edited by Ciphex; 03-18-2013 at 10:47 PM.

Quick Reply: HD's "Grenade" Starter Coil