Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Pros retro T-Sport bags for FXRs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:36 AM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Leather Pros retro T-Sport bags for FXRs?

Ok guys, I have had a lot of requests to build our retro FXDXT style bags to fit the FXR, but I need a little help. I have heard that Harley made a change in where the upper shock mount is located somewhere around 1987. I just bought an FXR4 that has the shock in the forward position.

You can see that the upper shock mount is right at the rear point of the frame triangle. I am wondering how many of you have bikes that have the mount moved back a little? I am trying to figure out if we can make one bag that would fit both shock locations or if we need to have two separate molds. All help and input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Garry

Old 03-12-2013, 01:25 PM
MattcW78
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re making the fxr convertible bags would be cool too

Old 03-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Danofxdx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man it must be nice to write off buying a bike as a business expense LOL

Old 03-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) I had been thinking of PM'ing you to ask if you might offer this for FXRs.
2) You are correct, HD did change the shock mounting position around 88.
3) I have two FXRs, one with the shocks forward and one with the shocks back - which was the original setup 82 to 87. See my sig pic.

I have been trying to figure out, casually, how to get one bag system on both FXRs. I haven't had a break through yet on that front. Unfortunately, both my FXRs are still in storage, so I can't provide close up pics right now. I hope to have my bikes home within the month though and could provide some help then - fwtw.
Currently I have EZ brackets on my 2000 FXR4 ( turn signals relocated ) and was going to put the HD saddlebag stays and Latigo bags on my 83 FXR ( no turn signal relocation should be necessary ).
Feel free to PM me if you wish.
Thanks for remembering we FXR owners.
PS - congrats on the new FXR4

Old 03-12-2013, 11:02 PM
mike14_07
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you pull your struts off, their will be 3 bungs welded in the frame, the 82-87 just have the rear 2 and 88+ fxrps and fxrts use the middle one to mount the shocks. You can some early struts for your for building the bags. The struts are completely different so id think the bag backs would need to be different for sure

Old 03-13-2013, 01:17 AM
Oldetymeandy
Stage II

I have an fxr4 as well. I'm planning on switching to the older style strut because the rearward position of the shock adds a little height to your ride. I haven't installed the struts yet. I'm VERY interested in buying a pair of these bags for my Fxr. If no one local can get you a set of these struts, pm me and I can let you borrow them for R&D.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:34 AM
Bo_Jangles
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should seriously consider a repop of the fxdp bags and cages. Rarer than the tsport and there is a market...just saying. And the shock mounts did change in 87. 86 and back have the more upright rear mounting postion

Old 03-13-2013, 10:34 AM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor

Does anyone know if the older bikes with the shock in the rear position still have the same spacing (8") between the two holes in the strut that the bags would mount to?

Garry

Old 04-09-2013, 10:10 AM
LeatherPro
Former Sponsor

Update

Well I got the molds pretty much finished (other than the locating marks) and molded the first set. The brackets are very similar to the ones for the Dynas, but are made for the hole spacing on the FXR.

As you can see in the photo, there is a wide molded out area for the shock whether it is in the rear or forward position. This didn't rob hardley any space from the bags, since we were able to add more volume in a couple other places.

This photo shows how close to the bike we were able to make the bags fit.

This photo shows all that is left on the bike when the bags are off, you can also see the bracket mounted to the back of the plastic back.

More progress soon

Garry

Old 04-09-2013, 10:17 AM
slvrbck33
Cruiser

Well, guess when you are done I will order a set. Maybe that will force me to find an FXR and buy it. Haha.

Quick Reply: Leather Pros retro T-Sport bags for FXRs?