Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID from DDM install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Stangheel
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy HID from DDM install question

Just got my kit from DDM and TRIED to install it today! Anyone else install one on a newer Wide Glide? I'm only getting one beam, and can't tell you whether it's the Hi or Lo. I went back to the DDM website and it says this harness is designed to be used with 2 ballasts. UMMM, then why would it not come with 2 ballasts? Before I order another ballast I want to get some experience from you guys. I only have ONE bulb so it makes no sense to have another ballast. Shouldn't this thing work? What am I missing? Thanks ahead of time!

Old 03-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Jacoblb
Tourer

Its only going to be one light one beam. Cars with hids either have another regular bulb that comes on for high beams of a bixenon projector that uses a magnet/motor to move the shield out of the way. So basically it just removes the cutoff that you have with proper hids. So with the ddm kit you can just figure you are using high beams all the time.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Stangheel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jacoblb
Its only going to be one light one beam. Cars with hids either have another regular bulb that comes on for high beams of a bixenon projector that uses a magnet/motor to move the shield out of the way. So basically it just removes the cutoff that you have with proper hids. So with the ddm kit you can just figure you are using high beams all the time.
Well that's just craziness then, cause the website says "Maintains High / Low function" and "Our High / Low HID kits come with a fused relay harness and controller that regulates the High / Low beam feature". By all accounts of the page for the kit, I should definitely have both capabilities. Otherwise I would have saved $15 and got the single function kit!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Stangheel
Advanced

OK, so apparently the bulb slides in and out to change the "trajectory" of the beam causing a difference in high and low beam. My bulb "clicks" but does not slide therefore flashing a noticeable high beam and going directly back to low. Sent a support question on their website for some insight. I'll update here if/when I get it fixed for anyone else looking for the answer.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:44 PM
tryus
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got a ddm hid. It came from China (of course!) and the solenoid that pulls the bulb in and the spring that returns it to low beam is not very strong. And, the whole thing is pretty lightweight, so if it's in any kind of a bind, it's not strong enough to pull it in. That may be the problem, if you can wiggle around on it and see if you can tell where it feels like it's in the most "relaxed" position. And, I think you already figured this part out, but I seem to recall (I didn't use the harness) that the harness is dual ballast capable, but you don't need two ballasts. Give it a wiggle!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:54 PM
tryus
Road Captain

Oh, and do a search, if you haven't already, on the E-code lamps from Europe. I got one for a Jeep CJ, it was cheap, fit perfectly and it transformed my bike into a light monster, without blinding folks. It's the best thing I've done to my bike! Except maybe for those Rienharts, or my CR-575 cams! Let us know how it comes out, hope you don't have to have it replaced...

Old 03-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Stangheel
Advanced

My kit has two connections on the harness, a short one and a long one. I've only tried the long one, but thinking of heading to the garage to try the short one. Think that mught have something to do with it?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Stangheel
Advanced

OK so here's what I have now. I just took the bulb apart and I don't know what it's supposed to look like, but I'm thinking they sent me a low bulb. There is no way this one can slide in and out. It moves freely and will "lean" to one side to flash bright, but ain't going to slide the way it's made. Waiting to hear back from DDM Tuning again after letting them know this.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:13 AM
tryus
Road Captain

Hope you got the harness figured out, I can't help much there. I think you may have an entirely different setup than I got anyway. Mine is a bulb, with a metal shroud partially surrounding it. It has the power going to it from the ballast, two wires as I recall, and a single, separate wire, to energize for bright. When you energize the "bright" wire it causes the bulb to retract a little, I guess the changing of it's position in relation to the metal shroud makes it "bright". It does make a difference, very easy to tell if it's working. Maybe you did get a low only bulb by mistake, I'm sure they'll make it good. Also, you do not really need the harness with the relay and all that stuff. The amperage of the hid is lower than the stock bulb, so you don't hafta worry about over-amping anything on your bike, which is what the relay is for. You could just power the ballast up with 12v with the ignition on (low beam), and find the high beam wire, and connect it to the single wire on the bulb. That saves a good bit of room... Holler back when you hear back from ddm...

Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 AM
tryus
Road Captain

I guess I shoulda said, use the the wires from your original headlight connector, one is ground, one low and one high. Connect the low beam and ground to the ballast, and the high beam to the high beam wire on the bulb. I think you may be able to stick the ballast in between the headlight housing and the lamp, I've read around here that you can, but I don't know the specific models that'll work that way...

Quick Reply: HID from DDM install question