Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S Super E carburators......No CV info or Mikuni info please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default S&S Super E carburators......No CV info or Mikuni info please.

I just wanted to start a thread regarding peoples experiences with the S&S super E carbs..

I have been thinking of buying one for my FXDX and wanted feedback on the S&S carbs only. Jetting specs, fuel mileage, flat spots, coughs, rideabilty,etc etc....

Just anything you have experienced with the Super E carbs, good or bad.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 PM
WTFMike
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I my 02 has one. I need to mess with to get it running great. It doesn't like to start up without the choke up or I have to hit the throttle a few times to keep it running. If I don't it will fire up and then sputter out and die. However, when it does that it shoots a cool little flame out of the exhaust pipe. After it is running it is a little rough off idle from a stop. But nothing bad, you get used to it. Throughout the rpm range it seems to run fine, maybe a little rich. The other night I think I saw a flame shoot out the exhaust when I went from just cruising to WOT. Then on the deceleration I am getting a lean pop. I just bought the bike a month ago, so I am reading up on jetting it and tuning to get it running better.

But honestly I have kinda gotten used to it the way it is.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:00 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have ran s&s on everything from ironheads to shovels and evos . I love them , easy to work on and set . there are better proformance carbs out but I do love super e carbs , super b not so much .

Old 03-12-2013, 08:04 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master

Originally Posted by WTFMike
Well, I my 02 has one. I need to mess with to get it running great. It doesn't like to start up without the choke up or I have to hit the throttle a few times to keep it running. If I don't it will fire up and then sputter out and die. However, when it does that it shoots a cool little flame out of the exhaust pipe. After it is running it is a little rough off idle from a stop. But nothing bad, you get used to it. Throughout the rpm range it seems to run fine, maybe a little rich. The other night I think I saw a flame shoot out the exhaust when I went from just cruising to WOT. Then on the deceleration I am getting a lean pop. I just bought the bike a month ago, so I am reading up on jetting it and tuning to get it running better.

But honestly I have kinda gotten used to it the way it is.
3 throttle pulls and choke is normal s&s start up , but the rest is not right on your carb , you need to adjust airfuel or change jets

Old 03-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Mine does just fine other than throttle response straight off idle if I just twist it wide open, anything at all above idle and it's right there. No other problems and fuel mileage ranges around 45-50MPG if I just cruise. Dead cold, enrichener without a throttle twist and just hit the starter after it's warm. Stock other than open drag pipes and EV-27 cam.
I see the S&S like a Holley and the CV like a Quadrajet, both tuneable in their own ways.

Last edited by Lakerat; 03-12-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I like to ride aggressively since I came from a Sport Bike background. I just want to be sure that the Super E can be jetted to roll on smoothly, and not cough or flat spot exiting corners.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:14 PM
sonnydaze
Road Master

Originally Posted by parts eeter
This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I like to ride aggressively since I came from a Sport Bike background. I just want to be sure that the Super E can be jetted to roll on smoothly, and not cough or flat spot exiting corners.
I set my idle at 1100rpms so I don't have lag off idle

Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep, I prefer a good idle speed also. We have alot of 50 MPH 4 lanes here with stop lights. Bogging or stalling off the line is dangerous here.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:55 AM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The S&S E has an adjustable accelerator pump. That carb can be tuned spot on with a little work on your part! I've owned 2 of them and loved them both. There's something about the classic look of the AC cover that gets my blood up! As you no doubt know, the kit comes complete with all the parts from the heads to the air cleaner. Changing main jet is simple...just drain the carb bowl and pull the plug. S&S sells a main jet wrench...it is worth every dime. If I had a carbed Harley, it would be an S&S E...NOTHING else!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I have been all over the adjustment on the accelerator pump with minimal results, probably just needs the diaphragm. I'm not one to sit at a stoplight and whack the throttle so it works just fine for me. Never had a problem leaving from a dead stop, full throttle on takeoff isn't that important to me.

Quick Reply: S&S Super E carburators......No CV info or Mikuni info please.